The Marriage of the Lamb (pt4)

A place to discuss issues related to the end times and Bible prohecy.

Moderator: Igotsunshine

BishopK

The Marriage of the Lamb (pt4)

Post by BishopK » Thu May 01, 2008 10:56 am

The Time Is At hand

Revelation 19:7-19:9
THE TIME IS AT HAND

Part 4

THE MARRIAGE OF THE LAMB

After the judgment of the saints at the Judgment seat of Christ, the next event that will take place would be the Marriage of the Lamb.

Rev 19:7-9 “Let us be glad and rejoice and we will give glory to Him. For the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has prepared herself.
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white. For the fine linen is the righteousness of the saints.
And he said to me, Write, Blessed are those who have been called to the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he said to me, These are the true sayings of God.”

How can we say that the Church is the bride and Christ is the bridegroom? Some teach that the nation Israel is the bride along with the church. But if we look into scripture we begin to see the difference between Israel and the Church.

Rev 21:2 “And I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of Heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her Husband.”
Rev 21:9 “And one of the seven angels who had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues came to me and talked with me, saying, Come here, I will show you the bride, the Lamb’s wife.”

2Cor 11:2 “For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy. For I have espoused you to one Man, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.”

From these verses we clearly see that the church is the bride of Christ, the Lamb.

Whereas in the Old Testament we see that Israel as a nation is referred to as the wife, and Jehovah God as her husband.
Jer 31:32 “not according to the covenant that I cut with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which covenant of Mine they broke, although I was a husband to them, says Jehovah;”

The Bible also says that Israel is portrayed as a divorcee,
Isa 54:4 “Do not fear; for you shall not be ashamed, nor shall you blush; for you shall not be put to shame; for you shall forget the shame of your youth, and shall not remember the reproach of your widowhood any more.”

And that in the Millennium reign she will be restored as Jehovah’s wife,
Isa 62:4-5 “You will no more be called Forsaken; nor will your land any more be called Desolate; but you will be called My Delight is in her, and your land, Married; for Jehovah delights in you, and your land is married.
For as a young man marries a virgin, so will your sons marry you; and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so will your God rejoice over you.”

Therefore when referring to the Bride of Christ it points to the Church of Jesus Christ and not to the nation of Israel.
When will the marriage of the Lamb take place? Between the Rapture and the return of Christ to the earth, there are two events concerning the church that must take place;
1. The judgment seat of Christ and
2. The marriage of the Lamb.

Rev 19:7-8 “Let us be glad and rejoice and we will give glory to Him. For the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has prepared herself.
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white. For the fine linen is the righteousness of the saints.”

The Bride is depicted as wearing "fine linen, clean and white.
This is possible only when the Church has passed through the Judgment seat of Christ.
The Church is given a clean garment and the Church also receives its rewards for all the good works it has done.

There are many variations concerning wedding customs in Scripture; yet, there seem to be three distinct phases in common with each:

(1) The marriage contract or betrothal, which was initiated between the parents of the bride and the representative of the bridegroom. This was usually confirmed by oaths and a gift (dowry) to the bride’s family.
Here the bride would be dressed in fine linen, (the righteousness of the saints, after they have been judged and rewarded).

(2) The marriage ceremony or wedding procession, which involved the bridegroom and his friends. They would come to the bride’s home to take her back to the house of the bridegroom or the bridegroom’s father.

(3) The marriage supper or feast, which would be at the bridegroom’s house or his father’s. This was attended by all the guests that have been invited for the wedding feast.
Rev 19:7-11
Christ’s Marries His True Church Bride
Marriage Process Stage Relevant Scripture Jesus’ toward His Bride
1. Courtship John 2 & 4 Called by Love
2. Betrothal / Engagement John 10-12 Saves by Grace
3. Preparation John 14:2 Goes to prepare
4. Retrieves & Vows John 14:3 Returns to rapture/rescue
5. Supper with Guests Rev 19:9 Guests = OT/Trib saints
6. One Flesh Rev 19:11 Physical Return
7. Honeymoon Rev 20 Millennium
The common process through which first century, middle eastern marriages normally progressed, followed seven steps as listed in the chart above. These same seven steps parallel the process by which Jesus will complete His marriage to His bride - the Church.
Our betrothal/engagement to Jesus is a salvation covenant initiated by His grace alone, and we responded by submissive faith. Even though the full consummation of the marriage has not yet taken place, our salvation is sure and secure.
Jesus said that His sheep hear His voice and will follow Him. Even though corporate, national Israel rejected Jesus as Messiah, He called out a bride to Himself, the church (ekklesia - a mystery not revealed in the Old Testament).
The church is a unique entity, a mixture of both Jews and Gentiles, regenerated (John 7:37-39) in a manner unlike believers of the Old Testament. The church is the bride of God the Son, not God the Father.
In preparation for marriage, the first century groom would prepare a room in his father’s house for himself and his new bride. Then he’d go and get his bride, take her out of her old world, and bring her to the wedding ceremony.
John 14:2 “In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.”
Jesus in a similar manner promised to prepare a special place in His Father’s house for His bride, and to come again and take her out of her old world. We the Church are His bride, and at the rapture Jesus will rescue us out of this old world, from the coming judgment on unbelieving Israel called the time of "Jacob’s Trouble", "the Great Tribulation".
The first century wedding was followed by a marriage supper, where the friends of the groom and the bride were special guests invited to share in the joy of the couple’s new union. So, who are these invited guests at the marriage supper of the Lamb? They are certainly believers, but as "guests" they cannot be the same as the bride. These friends of the Lamb and bride are believers from the Old Testament and the Tribulation. This is a further piece of evidence demonstrating the distinction between national Israel and the Church (please see previous notes detailing the evidence for this crucial fact). While the marriage of the Lamb apparently will take place in heaven during the tribulation, the supper will take place on the earth at the end of the tribulation.
After the marriage supper, the groom and his bride consummate their one flesh union, a picture (Eph 5) of the perfect intimacy soon to come for Christ and His Church. At that awesome time, we will know Him fully even as we have been fully known by Him (John 17; 1 Cor 13). There will be no barrier, no sin, no separation. Finally, we will be filled and satisfied in a way in which the things of this world could never produce.
Following the consummation of the marriage comes the honeymoon period (Deut 24:5). Our coming honeymoon with Christ Jesus will extend not merely for a week or even a year, but for 1,000 years during which Satan will be bound and the whole world will be filled with the love and knowledge of the Lord (Isa 11 & 65).
The Church - was chosen as a special bride for His Son. Ephesians 5 tells us that the "church" was a mystery, un-revealed to the Jews. The church, the bride of Jesus the Son, is a special entity, consisting of a mixture of both Jews and Gentiles, who would trust in Christ between the time of His resurrection and her rescue/rapture. The "time of Jacob’s Trouble", would then refocus God’s ministry in the world on and through the corporate nation of Israel.
Israel - was sovereignly chosen as the Father’s Wife, not the Son’s. In fact, Zech 12 reveals that Israel, officially and corporately, will one day (Rom 11:26) see Jesus as its Son, not its husband.
"[the One] whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn. (Zech 12:10)".
Israel was the physical, corporate representative of God to the world prior to the creation of the church at Pentecost. Due to its rejection of Jesus, Israel has been temporarily (Rom 9-11) set aside, and God’s corporate representative is the church, the bride of His Son. God does not intend the church to be a corporate, physical nation like Israel. We are not to try dominate the world’s governmental systems with Christian authority. The physical domination of the world system will one day be achieved by Jesus Himself, when He comes to rule with a rod of iron. At that point, the physical nation of Israel will again be the central physical manifestation through which Jesus, the King of the Jews, will rule. The church, His bride, will be at His side.
The important thing for us to remember is that we still have time to fashion through "good works" the wedding garment that we will wear in eternity.
2 Cor 7:1 "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God"

larry

Re: The Marriage of the Lamb (pt4)

Post by larry » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:42 pm

BishopK wrote:The Time Is At hand

Quoting BishopK - When will the marriage of the Lamb take place? Between the Rapture and the return of Christ to the earth, there are two events concerning the church that must take place;
1. The judgment seat of Christ and
2. The marriage of the Lamb.

Response -

In the parable of the five foolish and wise virgins we read in:

Matthew 25:6. "And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him." At midnight is the middle of the 7 years of tribulation.

Matthew 25:10. "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut."

The judgment seat of Christ is occurring right now as Christ walks among the churches (caqndlesticks) examining our walk. i.e. Jesus finds fault with five churches, and two are commended. Our present walk with the Lord determines which church we fit into, and are given time to repent now; there will be no repenting in heaven. When we go before Jesus we receive our reward.

Quoting BishopK - While the marriage of the Lamb apparently will take place in heaven during the tribulation, the supper will take place on the earth at the end of the tribulation.

Question - Not quite sure where you figure the marriage supper will be delayed until the end of the tribulation.

Thanks -
All here stated in the name of the Lord Jesus hopefully to God's glory - larry

Return to “End Times & Prophecy”