Prophesies of Daniel - Chapter Five

A place to discuss issues related to the end times and Bible prohecy.

Moderator: Igotsunshine

larry

Post by larry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:00 pm

by Gene Hawkins

Chapter 5 - Part 1 of 2
Part Two on First reply

~ transcribed and edited by larry from lecture ~

This is really some history we might say leading up to a vision Daniel is going to have. We've studied the vision that Nebuchadnezzar had, and tonight we're going to find another great phenomenon that occurred with Belshazzar. Then God begins to give Daniel visions and we'll see a number of them on through this book. They are outstanding and portraying and pointing to things coming to pass yet in our day.

Daniel 5:1-2. "Belshazzar the king." made a great feast to a thousand of his lords, and drank wine before the thousand." Now you'll notice in Chapter 4 that Nebuchadnezzar was the king, and now we read here that "Belshazzar the king made a great feast to a thousand of his lords, and drank wine before the thousand," and Belshazzar's drinking of wine seems to be the thing that is to the front here with no regard for the things of God at all. 2 "Belshazzar, whiles he tasted the wine, commanded to bring the golden and silver vessels which his father Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of the temple which was in Jerusalem; that the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, might drink therein." Now it says here that his father was Nebuchadnezzar, but it should be his grandfather Nebuchadnezzar. If you read 2 Kings 25:27-30 we find that Nebuchadnezzar's son was "Evil-merodach" and so Belshazzar is actually Nebuchadnezzar's grandson, and that relationship will be rather important to see as we go on down here in these verses and find out the time period we are in at this time. Another thing about Belshazzar is that even though his name is spelled about the same as Daniel's Babylonish name of Belteshazzar and their names mean about the same thing, but boy are they ever way far apart in so far as their character and the name that they were. So Belshazzar is tasting this wine and he "Commanded to bring the golden and silver vessels which his father Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of the temple which was in Jerusalem; that the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, might drink therein." Now these are those holy vessels which God had ordained that were used in the temple at Jerusalem during Israel's religious ceremonies, and now they have been brought here and used not just for a common use, but it seems like this was in realty a religious ceremony we'll see here in just a moment.

Daniel 5:3-4. "Then they brought the golden vessels that were taken out of the temple of the house of God which was at Jerusalem; and the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, drank in them." As for the golden vessels, we see "That were taken out of the temple" mentioned twice now. 4 "They drank wine, and praised the gods of gold, and of silver, of brass, of iron, of wood, and of stone." So this seems to be an idolatrous religious service that they are attending, or at least it seems to be turned into that and they are using these vessels that were taken out of the temple of God in Jerusalem in order to do that. Well we have seen before that God does not allow those things He has given, or His possessions we might say to just be treated as common items. When the Philistines took the ark and they were just going to treat it like any other god, but God saw to it no, this is not the way it is going to be treated. Now what these golden vessels represented and how they started out were so meaningful at the very beginning, but they no longer meant what it should have to Israel, and it certainly didn't mean anything to the Philistines. But it still meant something to God, and God is still very much jealous of the things these vessels represented.

Daniel 5:5-6. "In the same hour came forth fingers of a man's hand, and wrote over against the candlestick upon the plaister of the wall of the king's palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote." Now here is where God is going to step in and show His displeasure with all of this "In the same hour." He has a message for them but especially for this man Belshazzar, so a hand that just comes out of the clear blue we might say, or materializes out of the air and begins to write a message here on the wall. 6 "Then the king's countenance was changed, and his thoughts troubled him, so that the joints of his loins were loosed, and his knees smote one against another." Well I think he would be a little excited about that and I think he would realize there was something out of the ordinary happening here. "His thoughts troubled him" and I think he would begin to wonder what is happening in this place. "His knees smote one against another" and you've heard of being weak-kneed, I doubt that this man could hardly stand up if he tried to.

Daniel 5:7-8. "The king cried aloud to bring in the astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers. And the king spake, and said to the wise men of Babylon, Whosoever shall read this writing, and shew me the interpretation thereof, shall be clothed with scarlet, and have a chain of gold about his neck, and shall be the third ruler in the kingdom." We'll find a little more about that third ruler here in a little while, but I want to notice here that he called in the same people that his grandfather Nebuchadnezzar had done in the beginning also. You know all of these wise men "Astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers" and all of these and here we go deja vu, the same old story once again. 8 "Then came in all the king's wise men: but they could not read the writing, nor make known to the king the interpretation thereof." Just as it was in Chapter 2, they didn't have a clue as to what was going on here either at this time, but someone finally remembered Daniel as we're going to see here in just a little bit.

Daniel 5: 9-11. "Then was king Belshazzar greatly troubled, and his countenance was changed in him, and his lords were astonied." There is a great mystery here, and Belshazzar is on edge to say the least. His countenance was changed in him, his lords were astonished and they can't tell him what is going on. So there was quite a stir made about this and it got around to the queen. 10 "Now the queen, by reason of the words of the king and his lords, came into the banquet house: and the queen spake and said, O king, live for ever: let not thy thoughts trouble thee, nor let thy countenance be changed: 11 There is a man in thy kingdom, in whom is the spirit of the holy gods; and in the days of thy father light and understanding and wisdom, like the wisdom of the gods, was found in him; whom the king Nebuchadnezzar thy father, the king, I say, thy father, made master of the magicians, astrologers, Chaldeans, and soothsayers." These people still do not acknowledge or recognize that there is one God of heaven as Nebuchadnezzar did in his later days, but at least this queen had heard of him. Now I do not know why or when this story had gone around but she understood that Daniel could interpret these dreams and different phenomenon, and God saw to it that there was someone there who was going to witness of Him and she recognized or remembered that it was "In the days of thy father (Grandfather)." Daniel had been advanced to chief over all of them and we know how that happened. Nebuchadnezzar was so impressed with him he promoted him to such a place.

Daniel 5:12-13. "Forasmuch as an excellent spirit, and knowledge, and understanding, interpreting of dreams, and shewing of hard sentences, and dissolving of doubts, were found in the same Daniel, whom the king named Belteshazzar: now let Daniel be called, and he will shew the interpretation." That excellent Spirit we know to be the Spirit of God and this is where Daniel got his information, and why he could do what he did and interpret those hard sentences. Others had no idea what they meant, and he one that is "Dissolving of doubts." In other words he leaves no doubt about what is happening and though the king may not agree with the answer, he was well satisfied with the answers and certainly not in doubt as to what it meant. 13 Then was Daniel brought in before the king. And the king spake and said unto Daniel, Art thou that Daniel, which art of the children of the captivity of Judah, whom the king my father brought out of Jewry?" Now Daniel is about 90 years old here because we're going to find out that we are almost to the end of the 70 years of captivity and if Daniel was even 20 years old at the beginning of Nebuchadnezzar's reign in 606 BC, then Daniel would have been almost 90 years old at this time.

Now I want to make another point here in regard to the time we are talking about. I think this writing upon the plaister of the wall of the king's palace happened to Belshazzar in the first year of his reign, but next week we're going to see how that Daniel's vision was in the third year of Belshazzar's reign and what we have here in the present text is about the third year so Daniel would have known the truth of what he's going to bring out here in these verses. As we're going to see, Daniel knew that from Nebuchadnezzar's dream, but Daniel himself also had this dream. I believe we also find that he had studied the writings of Jeremiah who had prophesied of that 70 year period, so Daniel really did know that this 70 year period was just about over.

Daniel 5:13-14. "Then was Daniel brought in before the king. And the king spake and said unto Daniel, Art thou that Daniel, which art of the children of the captivity of Judah, whom the king my father brought out of Jewry?" And of course Daniel was a Jew. Now Daniel was brought in before the king, and you'll notice he had not been invited or brought in for other feasts and you'll find that to be true that most often spiritual people are really not invited to carnal things because people do not want to be convicted by their presence so Daniel was not voted in. Well in Verse 14. "I have even heard of thee, that the spirit of the gods is in thee, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom is found in thee." Now you'll notice that when he says I've heard that you have the spirits of the gods, once again he did not acknowledge the God of heaven. Now Nebuchadnezzar certainly acknowledged the God of heaven after he went through that seven year period, but Belshazzar does not do that and just reduces God to be like everyone else. He puts Him right along with the other gods so much of the way that we find in our world today; one god is just as good as another and you have the freedom to worship whichever one you choose.

Daniel 5:15-16. "And now the wise men, the astrologers, have been brought in before me, that they should read this writing, and make known unto me the interpretation thereof: but they could not shew the interpretation of the thing: 16 And I have heard of thee, that thou canst make interpretations, and dissolve doubts: now if thou canst read the writing, and make known to me the interpretation thereof, thou shalt be clothed with scarlet, and have a chain of gold about thy neck, and shalt be the third ruler in the kingdom. " This third ruler seemed a little strange, so what is he talking about? Quite simply his father Evil-Merodach was still alive at that time, next is Belshazzar who is out in front and taking over those reins, and so Daniel was advanced to that place there in the kingdom where he was the third in line in power.

Go to first reply for part two >
All here stated in the name of the Lord Jesus hopefully to God's glory - larry

larry

Re: Prophesies of Daniel - Chapter Five

Post by larry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:11 pm

by Gene Hawkins
Chapter 5 - Part 2 of 2

~ transcribed and edited by larry from lecture ~

Daniel 5:17-21. "Then Daniel answered and said before the king, Let thy gifts be to thyself, and give thy rewards to another; yet I will read the writing unto the king, and make known to him the interpretation." Daniel absolutely wanted no part of the rewards, pomp and authority, or all of the scarlet robes with a gold chain about his neck and assuming a symbol of royalty of high estate or prestige so to speak. He said you can keep your reward and all of that but I will read the writing and tell you what it means. 18 "O thou king, the most high God gave Nebuchadnezzar thy father a kingdom, and majesty, and glory, and honour: 19 And for the majesty that he gave him, all people, nations, and languages, trembled and feared before him: whom he would he slew; and whom he would he kept alive; and whom he would he set up; and whom he would he put down. 20 But when his heart was lifted up, and his mind hardened in pride, he was deposed from his kingly throne, and they took his glory from him: 21 And he was driven from the sons of men; and his heart was made like the beasts, and his dwelling was with the wild asses: they fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven; till he knew that the most high God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that he appointeth over it whomsoever he will." And of course here in Verse 21 Daniel is referring to that experience Nebuchadnezzar had when he was driven out for those seven years, and God has not changed at least here in this matter at all. God still wants these rulers to know, or realize just who they are and who has given them this power and He has ways of teaching or making that known to them just exactly like He did with Nebuchadnezzar if they will not acknowledge it. God did this with Nebuchadnezzar until he knew that the most High God rules in the kingdom and you can compare that with Romans 13:1. "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God" because it is still exactly the same way; they are there because God put them there. Some men may think that they have bought, coerced, or connived their way into these places of power, but it is God who has placed them there. Daniel 2:21 tells us the same thing. "He removeth kings, and setteth up kings." This is God's business and it was God who set up Nebuchadnezzar as this first world ruler of this first empire. Well the truth of the matter is that this first world empire is just about to give way to the second world empire.

Daniel 5:22-23. "And thou his son, (Or thy grandson) O Belshazzar, hast not humbled thine heart, though thou knewest all this." Now it seems that Nebuchadnezzar had made this known of what he went through and why he went through it, and it was common knowledge. His grandson Belshazzar knew this and it's rather interesting here because even though he knew this it didn't make any difference and he did not at all accept it. He really chose to rebel against God and it seems that Belshazzar did that with his eyes wide open as we see here next underlined in 23. "But hast lifted up thyself against the Lord of heaven; and they have brought the vessels of his house before thee, and thou, and thy lords, thy wives, and thy concubines, have drunk wine in them; and thou hast praised the gods of silver, and gold, of brass, iron, wood, and stone, which see not, nor hear, nor know: and the God in whose hand thy breath is, and whose are all thy ways, hast thou not glorified." Now notice this, "They have brought the vessels of his house before thee." They have brought these vessels into this idolatress house, and God has taken exception to and was insulted by that. So "They have brought the vessels of his house before thee, and thou, and thy lords, thy wives, and thy concubines, have drunk wine in them." Now I want to notice that it somewhat indicates they were making a mockery to insult God because these were vessels that were formally used in the ways of real worship before the Lord, and that was not happening here in this place at all. Once again, God is still interested and very much jealous of what these things mean even though men have forgotten all about this. Then we read, "Thou hast praised the gods of silver." Well these vessels were never used for that before and God never intended for that to happen here, but they are doing it now.

Verse 23 continued. "Thou hast praised the gods of silver, and gold, of brass, iron, wood, and stone, which see not, nor hear, nor know: and the God in whose hand thy breath is." Belshazzar, He even gives you the breath you breathe. He has put you in this place you are, and indeed you're dependent upon Him even for that very breath. "And whose are all thy ways, hast thou not glorified" It is rather interesting here that Belshazzar is not even given a chance or alternative here as it were to repent the way Nebuchadnezzar was given in Daniel 4:27. When Nebuchadnezzar was lifted up with pride then God gave him the opportunity to humble himself, but as we found in last week's lesson he didn't do that and so God came on the scene and He humbled him. Well here in this place it seems like God didn't give Belshazzar such a choice at all. The die has already been cast so to speak and the judgment is already going to be poured out. The reason for that is because that God's decree is to be carried out and the seventy years of this first world empire are just about over and nothing is going to change that. I think of men in our day who are going around with the message now if we just fall on our faces before God, and they quote 2 Chronicles 7:14. "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." If they fall on their face and repent and all of this I'm going to reverse all of this judgment, and I'm going to heal their land and we hear men quoting that today constantly. But just as it was then so is it now. God has decreed judgment for this world and nothing is going to stop it. Now men can save their own selves individually but there is not going to be any wholesale deliverance of this world. Judgment is coming, and so it didn't make any difference here. He didn't give Belshazzar that time to repent to turn things around and the judgment was absolutely on its way.

Daniel 5:24. "Then was the part of the hand sent from him; and this writing was written," and that part of the hand is from God. Belshazzar had told Daniel back in Verse 14, I know "That the spirit of the gods is in thee (Plural)," but as we have said repeatedly he did not acknowledge the God of heaven, and yet Daniel has come on the scene and he has declared the God of heaven to him and so he says here, "Then was the part of the hand sent from him." That's God's hand that wrote that message on the wall because no one was up there behind it putting this thing into action. This is God's way, it is from Him "And this writing was written.

Daniel 5:25-27. "And this is the writing that was written, MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN" and we find out that those words certainly mean much. 26 "This is the interpretation of the thing: MENE; God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it" and God had numbered 70 years if you want to put it right down to the year has run out and finished it. He is referring to the end of the Babylonish rule and the fall of Nebuchadnezzar's Empire; the head of gold. We have come to the time that the reign of this first world empire is over. 27 "TEKEL; Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting." This is talking about Belshazzar who is now in charge here because Nebuchadnezzar is already gone, and his father Evil-merodach is just about to pass off the scene. Though Belshazzar is the one actually acknowledged here as king, he is first in line and really the responsible one and God told him "Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting." I want to notice at this point that Belshazzar is really typical of Christendom, and if you go to Revelation 17:5 we find Babylon the great which is typical of the political and religious Babylon of the end time and the same thing is going to be happening then, though God is going to be weighing that religious Babylon also in the balances before the judgment seat of Christ. This is another example of the judgment seat of Christ as men are being weighed in the balances according to the standards of God. "Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting" and so this is very true of Christendom even today as they are being weighed in the balances. You might also realize the wine and all of this is much like the wine of fornication and so forth that God accuses and judges the false church for being "Drunken with the blood of the saints" in Revelation 17:6. So this wine flowing free is really a real good prophesy of that or suggestive of what is happening in the end times.

Daniel 5:28. "PERES; Thy kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians." We studied this in the second part of that first vision Nebuchadnezzar had and notice that the silver is a metal inferior to the gold. Well, this Medo-Persian Empire that the silver represents is going to be inferior to the Babylonish Empire but that doesn't make any difference, it is still going to come in. When God is ready to put a nation or kings down He does it, and it doesn't make any difference that they're replaced with inferior nations at all. So "Thy kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians." It was all under one government before with the Babylonish Empire, but now there is a split here as you remember coming down through this body that was divided in his arms and so forth, and it is the Medes and the Persians that are now going to be in authority and in power.

Daniel 5:29. "Then commanded Belshazzar, and they clothed Daniel with scarlet, and put a chain of gold about his neck, and made a proclamation concerning him, that he should be the third ruler in the kingdom.” Now Daniel had told them I want no part of it, you can keep your gifts all you want. Even after Belshazzar hears this message of judgment that is coming upon him, it seems he was not upset about it and we don't read that he was ready to kill the messenger because of the message. That was sometimes done as we find with some of those kings in Israel's time when the prophets would prophesy to them of the things that were going to happen. I remember one Micaiah prophesying of what was going to happen and the king was so furious with him that he put him in prison and he said, you just feed him with bread and water till the day I get back, and Micaiah said king, if you come back at all God hadn't spoken by me. Now we don't see that here with Belshazzar, and I don't know whether he was so conceited that he thought this was just a trick, empty words, or exactly what it was but it doesn't seem that he was upset or disturbed by it at all. "Then commanded Belshazzar, and they clothed Daniel with scarlet, and put a chain of gold about his neck, and made a proclamation concerning him, that he should be the third ruler in the kingdom.” Did he think perhaps that Daniel was in a position to try and reverse all of this? I have no idea but what we do know is that God meant exactly what He said and here's another one of those places when we talk about the gift of prophesy being so specific, I worry so much about people that are taken in by these personal prophesies that people just set out as though you can set them out there and it makes no difference. When prophesy comes to pass, alright and if it don't, alright. That is not the way it is because prophesy is very specific and God let it be known here that this was a very specific thing, He did not really indicate when, but He certainly did show it in actual experience in Verse 30.

Daniel 5:30. "In that night was Belshazzar the king of the Chaldeans slain." And you can compare this with Jeremiah Chapters 50 and 51, and also Isaiah Chapter 21. That very night? It did not take long for God to carry out His decree that this kingdom is coming down. You are weighed in the balance and found wanting and the Medes and the Persians are going to take over. He didn't tell him to get his house in order, or that he had any time because it happened immediately. God says it's over and so it is over. So "In that night was Belshazzar the king of the Chaldeans slain." Undoubtedly he was slain by the Medes and the Persians as they came in there and infiltrated Babylon. Do you remember the stories concerning Babylon how that they had walls so wide you could run three chariots abreast on the top of the wall of the city. Well Babylon was suppose to be completely impregnable, but in God's time it didn't make any difference. They came in and Belshazzar was slain.

Daniel 5:31. "And Darius the Median took the kingdom, being about threescore and two years old." Darius was 62 years old when he came to the throne, and now he is the ruler of this one world government. Now I can tell you that we are headed back to a one world government, and that is what we see more and more in our day. Things are coming down to this and we just watch for signs that show us more and more how that these governments are getting together because a one world government will eventually come under the auspices or the ruler-ship of the antichrist. But that doesn't happen all at one time, and it is just little by little as this image is literally throned before our eyes and we are going to see more and more of what we're looking for in order to see that image materialize.

In Jesus' name - larry
All here stated in the name of the Lord Jesus hopefully to God's glory - larry

Return to “End Times & Prophecy”