Prophesies of Daniel - Chapter Seven

A place to discuss issues related to the end times and Bible prohecy.

Moderator: Igotsunshine

larry

Post by larry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:00 pm

by Gene Hawkins

Chapter 7 - Part 1 of 3
Part 2 on first reply
Part 3 on second reply

~ transcribed and edited by larry from lecture ~

Daniel 7:1. "In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon Daniel had a dream and visions of his head upon his bed: then he wrote the dream, and told the sum of the matters." Now this takes us back before what happened last week in Chapter 5 where we saw the end of Belshazzar's reign. It was on that very night the handwriting appeared on the wall and God told him that this reign was over and basically that the Medes and the Persians were going to come in. I tried to find out long that Belshazzar might have reigned but from history it seems that his father Evil-Merodach was Nebuchadnezzar's son, and Evil-Merodach apparently begin to reign at about 555 BC and his reign was over about 539 BC. Now what we must understand here again is that what I could find out is according to history. Another name for Evil-merodach is Nabonidus that went into exile in 550 BC and so the first year of Belshazzar's reign would have been 550 BC if that is right, and he would have come to the throne in that time because the kingdom was turned over to him. Now you remember in Chapter 5 that Belshazzar wanted someone to interpret this dream and he said now if you can do that then you would be third in the kingdom, and that's what he meant. Evil-merodach was actually the king though he was in exile, Belshazzar would be the real ruler and so he considered himself second, and then Daniel would have been third after Belshazzar. So Evil-merodach and his son Belshazzar were actually reigning at the same time. So Chapter 7 would have been the time that we are talking about here and now I say that because when we got to Chapters 5 and 6 Daniel had no trouble interpreting that dream and knowing exactly what it meant, and we're going to find out in some things tonight that Daniel understood perfectly some of the things he had already seen, but as we're also going to see, there was one of the portions of the vision that he just did not understand, and I think that we'll understand why that it was that way as we go on with our lesson. Again, "In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon Daniel had a dream." Before this it has been Nebuchadnezzar that has had a dream, and after that Belshazzar saw this hand writing on the wall and all of that, but here in our present text it is Daniel who is having the dream and he was able to recount it and write it down just exactly as we are able to read it here.

Daniel 7:2. "Daniel spake and said, I saw in my vision by night, and, behold, the four winds of the heaven strove upon the great sea." And of course all of this is symbolic language and that's why it is so important to understand that a symbol is not something you just make up and yeah, we'll let this represent this. No, the scriptures are a great commentary on what they mean. Now we see this four winds of heaven many places in scripture and they are representative of Satan who is the prince and power of the air. He is the one responsible for all of this, and we're going to find out that Satan himself is the one who is striving upon the sea even today. When we go to the book of Revelation we're going to find those four winds striving upon the sea and the saints holding back the four winds of heaven and it tells us of the full over-comers who are holding back the four winds of darkness and that's what we're doing even now. Now if you think that your life is getting just a little bit harder to live, if you think you're feeling more Satanic oppression, and if you think these things are closing in and the darkness is getting a little bit harder you're exactly right and it's no accident and I think of this every time I preach a funeral of one of the saints that have gone home. A little bit more light has gone out of the world, a little bit more faith is gone out of the world, more righteousness is gone out of the world and it's not being replaced. Now we understand there are some being saved and we praise God for it, but they're not walking in the steps of the faith those people had as they walked and went on with the Lord. So these four winds of darkness are really closing in more and more upon us and it's those four winds that are really dictating the political climate around the world. That's exactly what Daniel was seeing here as we're talking about these four world empires and they are being dictated to by these evil winds of darkness.

As we have already seen in our book that God has committed the governments into the hands of the Gentiles but they are not really being ruled by God, it is the satanic winds blowing upon them that have such an influence upon what is going on around the world. So you'll notice he said I saw these "Four winds of the heaven strove upon the great sea." Now the great sea here is actually speaking of humanity or as Isaiah 57:20 says "But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt." And so the sea is symbolic of sin, unrighteousness, and indeed the nations. In addition to the wickedness the reason they're pictured by the sea is because it is so unstable. Just look at the political scene around the world today and the waters are getting windier and windier and rougher and rougher. There's no one that can just come down and settle these waters, and that's because of these satanic winds blowing upon these nations and literally making things to erupt, and we see those eruptions around the world over and over and over again.

Daniel 7:3. "And four great beasts came up from the sea, diverse one from another." Now these beasts did not really all come up at the same time; they're really in succession of one another, and I'll tell you at the outset if you haven't already guessed that this vision that Daniel had is very closely akin to the vision that Nebuchadnezzar had. Now there are differences as we're going to point out and they are differences that we must absolutely must make a note of because if we confuse them, then there is going to be confusion especially during this end time. So just like Nebuchadnezzar's dream image pictured four world empires, likewise Daniel's dream image pictures four world empires but now there is this difference. Nebuchadnezzar saw this fantastic beautiful man with the head of gold, and you know he had these big old strong shoulders and his midsection was of the silver, then it went on to brass and just a beautiful thing to behold you might say. Nebuchadnezzar would have seen it from man's point of view, but Daniel saw these same world empires from God's point of view and they are beasts. God says man without God is a beast, and as we go on in this image we find that these men have become more beastly as time goes on.

Daniel 7:4. "The first was like a lion, and had eagle's wings: I beheld till the wings thereof were plucked, and it was lifted up from the earth, and made stand upon the feet as a man, and a man's heart was given to it." So we read here that "The first was like a lion." In the book of Revelation Jesus is called the Lion of the tribe of Juda, but we also know that the lion is known as the king of the beasts, and so this is representative of the Babylonian Empire of Nebuchadnezzar's kingdom. Babylon started out as the best, most elite, and strongest kingdom. This lion also tells us of the tremendous greatness that Nebuchadnezzar had, and we have seen that before in these first few chapters of Daniel. Next we see that this lion "Had eagle's wings" and that tells us that Nebuchadnezzar was as close to a heavenly realm as we could get you might say though he was abased, and we'll see that here in just a moment but you see, Nebuchadnezzar really did acknowledge the God of heaven in his worldwide kingdom so there was that heavenly element but you'll notice this, "I beheld till." It means that while Daniel was watching this image, and it was just like he was watching a moving picture scene after scene, and so "I beheld till the wings thereof were plucked." This first beast like a lion with its plucked wings was Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel 4:32-33 when he was reduced to nothing, driven out from the face of men, and forced to eat grass like the ox for about three and one half years that we found. Before this he was conceited and riding so high in that length of time as we saw in Daniel 4:30, and then God just simply plucked his wings as it were in Daniel 4:31. Next this first beast "Was lifted up from the earth, and made stand upon the feet as a man, and a man's heart was given to it." Here we see Nebuchadnezzar's restoration in Daniel 4:34-36 after he had been reduced to nothing, or to an absolute beast made to stand upon his feet as a man and a man's heart was given to him.

Daniel 7:5. "And behold another beast, a second, like to a bear, and it raised up itself on one side, and it had three ribs in the mouth of it between the teeth of it: and they said thus unto it, Arise, devour much flesh." In the second chapter of Daniel we saw Nebuchadnezzar's image deteriorate from gold to silver, brass, iron and clay. Well it was metals there, but here the lion gives way to the bear which is not near the beast that we would say the lion was and notice this. This second beast like to a bear "Raised up itself on one side." Now we remember that the Medo-Persia Empire was just exactly that being a divided kingdom because it was the Medes and the Persians. We also know as we found in Daniel 5:31 that Darius the Mede came along, but it was really the Persian Cyrus that came to be the stronger one, and this is what it means. This Bear "Raised up itself on one side" and though the kingdom was actually rested from Babylon we might say by Darius the Mede, it was the Persians who ultimately had the power and the victory here and actually over all in this kingdom. Next we see that "It had three ribs in the mouth." Three ribs are interpreted in Sister Bodie's note as Babylon, Egypt, and Lydia, and that means that they would be the major nations at that time that would have been vying as it were for a place, or they would have been trying to be as strong politically as Babylon. Of course it wasn't just bingo and they all lose their power, that was it and they're never heard of again, but they realized they were conquered and defeated by Darius the Mede. Now these three nations were still contenders but as Sister Bodie explains, "The three ribs crunched in its massive jaw, representing Babylon, Lydia and Egypt, the three great kingdoms that became one with it." They would be the three ribs in the mouth of the bear between the teeth of it "And they said thus unto it, Arise, devour much flesh." Of course these three nations recognized the power of this Medo-Persia regime that was indeed world rulers, but especially the Persians at this time. Again I say it is with reason that it was Cyrus the Persian that gave the Jews leave to go back to Jerusalem. Why? Because he had the power and could do it. He could release them and did, and of course it was God who spoke to him in order to do exactly that.

Daniel 7:6. "After this I beheld, and lo another, like a leopard, which had upon the back of it four wings of a fowl; the beast had also four heads; and dominion was given to it." This is another beast just following in sequence and that means that there is a different time-line for each of them. The first time-line was for the Babylonish Empire, then that gave way to the Medo-Persian Empire, and now we are seeing this Grecian Empire in power as the third world empire. "After this I beheld, and lo another, like a leopard" and this leopard indicates the swiftness of the Grecian Empire just sleek and swift and going everywhere to conquer. If I remember my history right Alexander the Great was the conqueror and leader in all of that, and was just absolutely obsessed with such fighting and conquering and he was so disappointed that he literally wept whenever there were no more nations to conquer and he did that in a rather short period of time. Now a leopard is swift but notice it was one "Which had upon the back of it four wings of a fowl." Now the image that Daniel saw in the image of the first world empire had wings of an eagle, and the eagle is known as the king or the birds, but this present leopard is given the wings of a fowl. Here again there is a deterioration in the image that Daniel saw of the first world empire. Though we're not told what fowl this is, or what wings of a bird they were, they were not that of an eagle. It was not just given into the hand of one man the way some of these kingdoms like the Babylonish Empire was passed on down. "The beast had also four heads" and again that tells us of these specific generals that were there as heads of state in that place, "And dominion was given to it." Even though Alexander the Great is gone, yet these four generals are the heads of state and very much in power.

Daniel 7:7. "After this I saw in the night visions, and behold a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, and strong exceedingly; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it: and it was diverse from all the beasts that were before it; and it had ten horns." Now this beast was diverse from all the beasts that were before it and represents a completely different kind of kingdom from what Daniel has been used to seeing. Of course this fourth world empire is the Roman Empire that was in power when Jesus was here on the earth and was known for its cruelty. There are just many horrible horrendous stories told of this empire, and the tremendous things that they did. Notice the adjectives used in this verse to describe this beast. It was dreadful, it was terrible, and it was strong. It also had great iron teeth which means they used very strong destructive measures and they just ruled with an iron fist you might say. You didn't dare resist anything that this regime held out or it meant death for you. "It devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it." Now I believe this residue is a reference especially to the Jews. As we get on into these visions and so forth, this is exactly what Daniel was concerned about during all of this and that was his own people the Jews. Well the Roman Empire was absolute, and you know if they did tread them underfoot, they stomped the residue of them, and tried to wipe them out. There have been others down through the years that have done exactly the same thing, and they are indeed a part of that Roman Empire also. The thing we must understand is that the Roman Empire extends from the time Alexander the Great and the Grecian Empire gave way to this present time we live in. Now there are some specifics we're going to find in the book of Revelation that Daniel goes into, but it really is just a revival of that same old Roman Empire. Then "It was diverse from all the beasts that were before it." This is just a completely different animal, and it just seems to be even more beastly than the rest of the other three that went before it. As we continue down in our chapter we'll find that this is the one that Daniel had a real hard time understanding and I think that we'll be able to see why here in just a little bit. Now this next point concern these words "It had ten horns" and they are very, very important because they really reach down to a time future to our day that I believe is literally soon to come. Now we need to see this and make a note of it because men are prone to compare and say that the ten horns of Daniel's image are the same as the ten toes of Nebuchadnezzar's image and they are not. The ten horns of Daniel's vision do not compare with the ten horns of Nebuchadnezzar's vision, and here is why.

Daniel 7:8. "I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns plucked up by the roots: and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things." This is the difference. These horns are representative of ten kings, and you may wonder was this little horn a part of the ten to begin with, or was it another one that just kind of crept in there? Now this is really a very important point because after three are plucked up there are only seven left, and you see if this little horn were not a part of the ten then you might suspect that he would be an eighth but that's not right, and it is very important to understand that there are now only seven horns to get these numbers right between here and the book of Revelation. Next I want to notice that the ten toes in Daniel 2:42 of Nebuchadnezzar's vision are exactly the same as the ten horn beast in Revelation 13:1, but there is a difference between the ten horns in Daniel 7:7 and the ten horns of Revelation 13:1, and the reason it's important to understand the difference is because they represent different time periods. For instance, the ten horns there in the book of Revelation only reign for the space of about an hour with the antichrist, and so we're talking about different peoples, different kings, and different nations that are ruling at different times. "I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns plucked up by the roots: and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things." This one little horn comes up and eliminates three of these kings, and with himself there are seven horns now left in this coalition, and you'll notice "Behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things." Now if you haven't already guessed it, this is the antichrist and he is going to make himself known not so much by his military abilities such as that military tactician Alexander the Great, but the major thing about this little horn is that he had "The eyes of man " indicating the tremendous wisdom or insight we might say that he would have, and he had "A mouth speaking great things." He is going to wield power by his words that will have such a sway with people, and we certainly can understand that in our day. We would label this fellow a politician, and the antichrist will be a great politician ruling with his mouth and this is where his strength lies.

Go to first reply for part 2 >
All here stated in the name of the Lord Jesus hopefully to God's glory - larry

larry

Re: Prophesies of Daniel - Chapter Seven

Post by larry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:03 pm

by Gene Hawkins

Chapter 7 - Part 2 of 3
Part 3 on second reply

Daniel 7:9. "I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire." Now this "I beheld till the thrones were cast down" means this is something that is in motion before him or changing right before Daniel's eyes, and we are living in that same situation today. That is why we really do need eyes to see because the political climate is changing right before our eyes, and if we have eyes to see then we can understand the same mysteries that Daniel understood, or as we're going to get on over here and be sick because we don't understand them. We do need to believe God to understand them exactly as Daniel did. And so "I beheld till the thrones were cast down." Now that doesn't mean that these thrones were cast down in destruction, but the actual word is "Till they were set." It means that these thrones are actually set in order so this seven horn beast can reign and they can set up a coalition of government. Well the thrones are set and they are going to rule the world, but they have one major surprise coming. "The Ancient of days did sit." Here the sovereignty of God himself is represented by the Lord Jesus Christ and the fact that God is going to give this throne to Christ, it is Jesus who really is this Ancient of Days. Well the antichrist and those other six men believe that he can come in and set up this kingdom and have everything his way. He has already shown that he can pluck up these other three by the roots, and I can tell you that he is not done yet because six of these remaining seven horns are going to give way to only one horn, and that's what the antichrist is all about. He's not interested in a coalition, but he is interested in getting individual power and if he uses the other six leaders to do that for awhile that's alright, but his object is to become the big cheese and sovereign leader, but he will be ruling in usurpation of the real Christ and that's why he's called the antichrist.

Daniel 7:10. "A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened." This "Fiery stream" will be the price of judgment and this picture of Jesus here is very much like the picture that we see of him in the first chapter of Revelation where Jesus is shown as the judge and that's exactly who we are dealing with here. He is indeed the judge but He is also King of kings, and Lord of lords and entitled to sit upon this throne we're talking about here. Next we see that "Thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened." In the previous verse we saw that the antichrist is coming to set up own government and these thrones are set, but the moment that Jesus is set on His throne means that Gentile rule is over, and these other thrones which have already been set are ruling in usurpation and they are imposters. If they will not surrender to the will of God, and to His Christ and the government He is bringing in they will indeed be annihilated and that is exactly what is going to happen. So from the minute that Jesus is set on His throne the nations are ruling in usurpation, Gentile times are over, and quite frankly Jewish times have begun. It will be Israel as God's representatives that are going to be to the front at that time and Christ of course on the throne leading them. And so "The judgment was set, and the books were opened." Well of course they are books of judgment and in Revelation 5:1-5 we read, "And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? 3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. 4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. 5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof." And of course the Lion of the tribe of Juda who is worthy to open the books is Jesus Himself and men were judged out of those things which were written in the books.

Daniel 7:11. "I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame." Notice once again, it is the great words of this man that are to the front and how he is wielding such power, but they are blasphemous words as we know and in Daniel 7:25 we read "And he shall speak great words against the most High." Also in 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 we read, "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." This is just blasphemy against God when He is going to set up his image, and he is going to reign as God. This is also talking about the abomination of desolation that is going to set up in the temple making people to know he is God. These are the great words he is using and convincing men of these things. And once again this is just a panoramic view like a moving picture that just moves along here and Daniel sees all of these things and the thrones set up, the Ancient of Days sitting on His throne, and one thing follows after another until "Till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame." So what we need to see now as we get on down here is that this beast with seven horns actually gives way to one and when we see the Ancient of Days only dealing with the one horn. This revival of the Roman Empire is symbolized in its last stages and will be like that fourth beast terrible and strong that had all the great iron teeth that represents the Roman Empire at its beginning. Now when we get down here and the fourth beast has ten horns we are caught to the end of Roman rule, and this is what is spoken of so much in the book of Revelation during tribulation times when the ten horns give place to the one horn, and then it is the one horn that is actually ruling with great power and authority the way he is wont to do. So then this coalition is going to be destroyed.

Daniel 7:12. "As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time." The rest of the beasts refer to those first three world empires. Their time is gone or complete and we don't worry about them anymore. "They had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time." Each world empire ruled just as long as God intended for them to rule, and then He brought on another.

Daniel 7:13. "I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him." We understand that the Ancient of Days is God, but you see, God and the Son of man are melded into one. You really cannot separate the two because it is the God of the universe who is giving all of this authority into the hand of Christ, and so Jesus is going to reign as God for that thousand years. We studied this when we were going over the Davidic covenant that Christ is going to reign for one thousand years as King of kings, and Lord of lords as the Ancient of Days and sovereign of the universe, but when He renders up the kingdom back unto His Father, His kingdom over Israel is still going to continue because the Davidic covenant refers specifically to Christ reigning on the throne of Israel forever and forever. We see Him now being ready to be installed, and of course we saw a picture of Him and these thrones as they were set back in Verse 9, and now then He has been given this throne, and therefore as I said before others are ruling in usurpation. Next we see that "One like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven" and that means once again the rule of Jesus is a heavenly rule. Now all of these others have just simply been unearthly rule, but Jesus has conquered both heaven and earth, and Jesus has conquered both principalities and powers. All of these four winds that have strove upon the waters; they too have been conquered by Christ Himself or He's in the process of putting down all of that rule and authority, and we'll notice as we get to Revelation 12:9 what Jesus did there. "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth." Jesus could do this because He owns the heavens because He bought all of that at Calvary, it just hasn't been implemented yet. He has complete victory and as I've said so many times at funerals; there's no problem for God to take His people right through that mine field of the heavenlies. Even though Satan is the prince of the power of the air; Jesus is still ruling there and everyone who have fallen to him came through unscathed; that's no difficulty but there's coming a day when Jesus is literally going to cleanse those heavens of those principalities and powers and Satan himself will be cast out.

Daniel has been talking about these ten horns and then the little horn comes up and then they're only left with seven and then as we noticed in Daniel 7:11, "I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake." The attention seems to switch here just to the one horn and that is to that one individual, and that's what makes this next phrase so important. "I beheld even till the beast was slain." Now I wondered as I studied on this today, and it could be either way. This beast that was slain here in this place, I think we're talking about that one horn now because that has given way this one voice; it's not just this coalition that has dissolved, though it really has. This little horn seems to have taken over everything there and he is the one who is absolute authority now, but notice this again. "I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame." We know that he didn't stay there and we'll just drop down to Daniel 7:21 for a moment. "I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them." Now I have wondered, was this one that was slain simply slain politically, or was it literally? Either way it means exactly the same thing. When he made a come a comeback, he made a worldwide comeback so to speak and that's exactly what the antichrist will do. He is going to gain such notoriety even if it is in just a political matter; and we've seen that happen politically. We've seen some politicians that we thought were absolutely dead and supposed we would never hear from them again, and yet they came back in this country to win the presidency and so on. So the same thing could mean politically, but there is a chance also that it could be literal too because it's going to manifest that kind of power through the false prophet and all of that. Be that as it may let us go on here and realize once again that this coalition of seven is now in usurpation.

Daniel 7:14. "And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed." Now this dominion was given to Christ Himself. He is reigning on the throne as God and that means of universal heaven and earth. When Jesus establishes Himself as the ruler here on the earth it is forever and none of these nations are going to wrest that power from him. They are going to go down, down, down and He is ever more going to be increasing in power and as we've noticed, that power over the Jews will continue right on out into eternity after He renders the kingdom back up unto His Father but you see, God is still going to be reigning so the Gentiles are not going to come back into power like they would like to do.

Daniel 7:15. "I Daniel was grieved in my spirit in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me." And so here is Daniel, a man that understands and interpreted all of these dreams and visions, and there is still something that is really bothering him. He has such unease and unrest about it, and the same thing really must happen in our lives because God doesn't always just give us a mighty revelation that we understand everything. What this shows is the deep hunger Daniel had to understand the message and the mystery, and this is exactly what every one of us has to possess if we are going to understand these mysteries even today, and I am persuaded that we can understand them. We can look on the things that are happening in our world today and understand how they apply to the scripture and to God's overall purposes and plan for us and for this world and realize where we are. This is why it is so important for us to understand the signs of our time, because they're literally a roadmap as to when God is going to take us home, and that is what everybody is wanting to know; when is Jesus going to come? Well we don't know the day and the hour, but we do know the times and the seasons, and we know the signs that signal it. There are certain signs that are there which happen very close to the coming of the Lord, then our eyes should be open, we should be enlightened to that and be looking up heavenly.

Daniel 7:16. "I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him." And this again is something that Daniel must have seen in vision. If you go to the book of Revelation you will find that John saw all sorts of people that were there and remember he was on the isle of Patmos himself, so he wasn't asking his neighbor, he wasn't asking one of the natives, a caveman, or something like that. He was alone on the isle of Patmos and the people he talked to were those he talked to in spirit. And so I think that's exactly what we have here with Daniel. I don't think he's asking one of the three Hebrew children or some of these others that may have been in sympathy with his cause. So "I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth of all this. So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things."

Daniel 7:17. "These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth." And so that you see that Daniel already understood this, he knew these first three regimes that he had told Nebuchadnezzar about were there. Then if you go to Daniel's present situation he saw this in the first year of Belshazzar's reign and he knows that the Babylonish rule is almost over, and that the time of the Medes and the Persians is just about here. Now according to Chapter 6 that's already happened, but let us remind ourselves that Daniel saw this vision in the first year of Belshazzar. Now I don't how many years Belshazzar reigned but Chapter 5 happened in the last year of his reign so this is in the first year. Now when we get to Daniel Chapter 8, it happened in the third year of Belshazzar's reign which was still prior to what happened when Belshazzar was slain Daniel 5:30.

Daniel 7:18. "But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever." The saints he talks about here are the Jews and you see, this is what Daniel was so concerned with was his own Jewish people and he calls them the saints. So this kingdom actually belongs to the saints and God intends for the Jew to be head of the nations and they're going to be. Now if you were to mention that to any of those in that Middle Eastern conference, you would be laughed right out of the room, but it is going to happen. The Jewish nation is going to be the head of the nations, and so this is exactly what this one tells Daniel. "The saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and that means exactly what it says. These other nations are not going to surrender it I'll guarantee you that, but this little bitty nation of Jews through the leadership of Christ Himself are going to have to take that kingdom and they shall "Possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever."

Go to second reply for part three >

larry

Re: Prophesies of Daniel - Chapter Seven

Post by larry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 pm

by Gene Hawkins

Chapter 7 - Part 3 of 3

Daniel 7:19. "Then I would know the truth of the fourth beast, which was diverse from all the others, exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and his nails of brass; which devoured, brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with his feet." This is where I really believe that Daniel understood the pattern that had already been laid out in the first three world empires. Now in reality he was as I said at the very end of the first world empire. I thought today that if it's like it is in our day and I'm sure it was, that you can look around and see for a number of years the way the political wind is a blowing and realize which of those nations are merging as they begin to make a name for themselves. I believe that Daniel saw that where the Medes and the Persians were concerned and at the same time he saw the deterioration of the Babylonish Empire. Look at us and you can see the deterioration of this country even though men try to deny and think there is nothing to it, we can see the deterioration of our nation right before our eyes, and I'm sure Daniel saw that there in Babylon. He also saw that the Medes and the Persians were gaining in political power and strength, and he knew from the visions that yes, there were these other two of a divided kingdom that was going to take over. Then he looked on beyond that and he saw the same pattern concerning the Grecian Empire. He didn't live to see the Grecian Empire because he was about 90 years old at this time, but he knew it was coming. When he got down to the fourth world empire he was just a little bit confused especially by what he has seen with this little horn. This is a thing that really disturbed him and with reason because the truth of the little horn reaches down just a little bit in our day. We have people even as close as we are to that day who say they can identify the little horn; oh that's the antichrist. No. And some people just absolutely go out on a limb as to predict who is the 666 and the antichrist and all of that, but we need to understand that he is not even going to be revealed until after the middle of the week, and regardless of who he is I will get that revelation from glory. We don't have to know or concern ourselves with who the antichrist is, but we certainly do need to concern ourselves with the things that are happening leading up to his revelation unto the world, and this is what Daniel is talking about here when he says, "Then I would know the truth of the fourth beast, which was diverse from all the others." See, he recognized that this was just a completely different animal than the first three that he really knew about. He could see that pattern but he was just completely baffled as to the meaning of this fourth one. It was "Exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and his nails of brass; which devoured, brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with his feet." The residue he is stamping with his feet is the Jewish nation and I think that Daniel understood and knew somewhat of that, but you see that as I said before refers to the beginning of the Roman Empire. And what is really disturbing Daniel is what is happening down at the end of that empire.

Daniel 7:20. "And of the ten horns that were in his head, and of the other which came up, and before whom three fell; even of that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake very great things, whose look was more stout than his fellows." This is coming down to our day, and no I cannot tell you to who those ten nations or who the ten toes are. I believe that the ten toes are those that mark more the beginning of the end. They're in power before this other ten horned beast comes on and gives way to the seven. They mark a time really before that happens. They do not have the strength or the power that is seen in these ten horns that gave way to the seven here in Daniel. So many speculate the different coalitions; is it NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) you know, and I'm sure NATO will enter into that but how I cannot tell you because I simply don't know. Sometime you get into some of these, and there are just too many nations in these coalitions to understand. I don't think there's any way that we could say yeah, it must be the United Nations. That would certainly fit for the criteria of the ten toes because that is about as weak an organization as you'll ever get into, and maybe they are going to be reduced down to ten, but nevertheless I can't, I'll put it that way. I can't pinpoint and say thus, and thus, and thus this nation and these are the ten toes and these are the ten horns, I can't do that, but we can watch for the signs of their power, and we can see what nations are falling apart, and we can see what nations are giving way to others and those nations we thought were players may not be, and those nations we may not considered players may find out they are very much players. This is what we have to see as this thing unravels itself.

And so what we have to see now is that Daniel is down to the ten horns. This is what he didn't understand in his head, "And of the ten horns that were in his head, and of the other which came up, and before whom three fell." Now he was really disturbed about that because here was ten and then here is this other one that comes up and he plucks up three of them, and again let us realize that there are only seven left, not eight. You know three from ten equals seven, not plus the little horn. The little horn is a part of those seven horns is what we need to establish, and whether the little horn was one of those originally or whether he came up as a pimple in the midst of them I can't tell you. But nevertheless, the little horn becomes one of the seven, and that's the important thing to see because he is the one that actually takes president over all of them, and in the final analysis there is only one and that is the little horn that is addressed on down here in the rest of this chapter. Again we read "A mouth that spake very great things" and you will notice that the emphasize all through here is that his big mouth is what is so important about this man and this is what we need to be listening to. Now we might wonder about some of these big-mouthed politicians. I mean, look at that one over in Iran right now and he would fit the big mouth but you know, a big mouth may be all that he is. He doesn't seem to have the ability to gather together a coalition of nations the way the antichrist is going to do. I believe that the antichrist is going to be such a smooth charismatic person and will just have these great swelling words and be able to draw people but I'm telling you, that fellow in Iran don't look like he even could draw flies. So the "Horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake very great things, whose look was more stout than his fellows." And again I don't see this leader of Iran as that kind of fellow. He doesn't look all that stout and appears as if he's trying to make up for some kind of deficit, but this other fellow is just going to have the look and you've seen those people, they just command attention. You don't have to do anything except step up and they command attention, and then when he adds his words to it, it just bowls people over.

Daniel 7:21. "I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them." Now I want to make sure we understand that these ten horns were reduced to the seven, and now then down to the one. That is the thread that is wound through here that it may have started out with a coalition of nations, but it is going to come down to where Daniel is preoccupied with that one horn, and that's exactly the way it will be in the end time with the antichrist. Now is this vision Daniel was seeing this come to pass before his eyes and he says "I beheld, and the same horn" and notice this, "The same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them" and that's what it's all coming down to. Anyone that has eyes to see will know that the primary target in all of this is the Jews. They may talk about one thing then another, and they argue about this and they argue about that but in the final analysis it always comes down to what in the name of common sense are we going to do with these Jews? The reason is because those Jews are representative of the Ancient of Days and their battle is against the Ancient of Days. And so "I beheld, and the same horn and made war with the saints, (And you can underline it) and prevailed against them." This happens in those early days of tribulation, and after the antichrist takes over he is going to prevail against God's people. This is also the time that's known in scripture as the time of Jacob's trouble, and the tribulation is really all about Israel being punished, or Israel having to go through this time of trouble to be refined by that fire because of their tremendous unbelief. Now because the Church is guilty of the same ungodly unbelief, God is not unrighteous having two standards. If the Church is guilty of the same sins as Israel, should not they also be punished, and reap the same consequence of their unbelief? Of course, and that's why you find that much of the Church is going to have to go through the first part of the tribulation period but the antichrist won't be revealed until the middle of the week. When it says he "Prevailed against them," that is referring to the time of Jacob's trouble which is the most intense time of the tribulation period. This is a time Jesus was referring to when He said in Matthew 24:22. "And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened." He's referring to those final three and one half years of the tribulation when the antichrist is ruling and he is given power over the saints. We underlined he "Prevailed against them," but also underline the first word of Verse 22. "Until" because you see it means he's not going to prevail against them forever. The antichrist is going to prevail against Israel only until the Ancient of Days came. Though Jesus was placed on His throne in the first chapter of Revelation, but in Revelation 4:1 we see that a door was opened in heaven, and John said "I saw Him on the throne." There is going to be a time when Jesus was placed on His throne there in the first chapter of Revelation, we see Revelation 4:1 that a door was opened in heaven, and John said "I saw Him on the throne." That's when Christ is actually enthroned which means from that point on the nations down here on earth are ruling in usurpation. Even though Jesus has been on the throne from that time, prior to this He just stayed in the background for the first three and one half years and kind of let these things play out, but once He decides that it is time then He is going to appear.

Daniel 7:22. "Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom." Here is where that the Ancient of Days Christ Himself is going to come in and defend Israel. Now the reason He can do that is because Israel now as a nation has repented, and has been born in one day and God says when you do that then it gives Me all power and authority to defend you and all of the promises of God, and that's exactly what will happen. "The time came that the saints possessed the kingdom" and that is exactly right, they are going to possess the kingdom, and now they are going to be ruling and reigning right along with Christ Himself.

Daniel 7:22. "Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces." Now none of the other three world empires showed the power that they could actually destroy the earth, but the forth world empire shows it. One of the ways that we know and the world knows that is that they have nuclear power and biological warfare. They really do have the power to wipe out the entire planet, and like Jesus said in Matthew 24:22, "And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved." This fourth world empire has that kind of power, and that makes it very diverse from all these other kingdoms, and so they'll "Break it in pieces."

Daniel 7:24-25. "And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings." This is exactly as we have seen and we are just waiting to see to put names to those nations to those heads of state. 25 " And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time." Once again we see that it all comes down to that little horn here in Daniel Chapter 7, and the antichrist "Shall speak great words" and now we shall see what these words are; "Against the most High." I really do believe that he's going to be a real orator that could charm anyone and anything that even gets near him. But his great swelling words here are against the Most High and notice that he "Shall wear out the saints of the most High" and that is true. He is going to make it so rough on God's people that it's not even funny and it's going to be such a devastating time for this nation at that time. Next we see that he is going to "Think to change times and laws." That means he's going to change Jewish feasts and laws, and as we get on into Daniel Chapter 9 the daily sacrifice is going to be taken away and that will be one of the marks, and at that time he will actually be ruling more in the background. When we get over there talking about the daily sacrifice being taken away, he really hasn't emerged at that time to the degree that we see him here. He is still that good old boy and he is such a charmer that really is persuading them to make a covenant with him for one week and that's exactly what they do. "They shall be given into his hand (And notice this) until a time and times and the dividing of time," and this refers to when they're given into his hands. Now they're going to make a covenant with him at the beginning of the week, and you see this is the covenant that we can even look for now. It doesn't mean it has to be signed before we go to glory, but I really do believe we might see the forerunner of it or the directions, and I really believe that we can before we go home to be with the Lord because the wind is blowing in that direction. Another sign that we look for is when Israel begins to compromise their religious activity and the ceremonies. They will to give up those things in order to achieve peace there in the Middle East they so desperately long for, but this time here they shall be given into his hand until a time which means one year, times means two years, and a dividing of time means half a year. You add them all up together and it refers to the last three and one half years of the tribulation period. Another sign that we look for is the religious activity and the ceremonies of Israel as to when they begin. Now Daniel is going to spell that out in days, and this is what we have stated from time to time. When God speaks and works with the Gentiles it really is in symbolic terms, but when He works with the Jews it is in exact days. He counts them right down to the day, and you can literally count off those days and find out exactly when things are going to be happening when you learn where the starting point is, and so we will see how to figure those starting points as we get on into these lessons.

Daniel 7:26-27. "But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end." And we are looking forward to that time when the antichrist is going to be dethroned. He is going to be given this space of three and one half years to rule, but then his dominion is going to be taken away from him. 27 "And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him." Here's where the antichrist is dethroned and Christ and His people reign He is King of kings, and Lord of lords and none shall take that away from Him.

Daniel 7:28. "Hitherto is the end of the matter. As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart. Now he understood the overall way that things were going to go just like we do tonight but as we're going to see, Daniel had a whole lot of gaps he needed to fill in. There were some of these intricate details that he just didn't have the handle on yet. So "As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: (But he did the only thing he could do) but I kept the matter in my heart." And this is exactly what we do, we keep the mater in our heart. We continue to dwell on it, and we continue to meditate on it to believe God that He too will show us these wonderful signs and wonders and revelations of truth that we so desperately need to see.

In Jesus' name - larry

Return to “End Times & Prophecy”