Day of the Lord

A place to discuss issues related to the end times and Bible prohecy.

Moderator: Igotsunshine

sawdust

Day of the Lord

Post by sawdust » Thu May 21, 2009 11:52 pm

This thread has arisen from a thread on the Resurrection of the Church in Pastor Don's section. Link below if you wnat to see how the question of this thread came about:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2657

What arose doesn't directly relate to the original topic which is why I have started this one.

Everready asked this question:

Before I reply I'd like to hear from anyone that believes Jesus will rule & reign
1000 years on a world that's been stained > tarnished by sin

I'm going to respond to Everready's question in the next post as I want to organise my answer first.

peace

peace
When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty. Jer.15:16

sawdust

Re: Day of the Lord

Post by sawdust » Fri May 22, 2009 1:31 am

Isaiah 65:17-25 is a description of life during the Millenial reign of Christ. The "new heavens and earth" that isaiah speaks of is not to be confused with the "new heavens and earth" mentioned in Rev. 21:1.

How can we know they are not the same? Because in the Revelation passage "there is no more death" (Rev.21:4) whereas in Isaiah death still occurs.

"Never again will there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not live out his years;
he who dies at a hundred
will be thought a mere youth;
he who fails to reach a hundred
will be considered accursed. Isa.65:20

The reason death occurs is because, even though only believers enter the Millenium, the ones who are still alive at the Second Coming of Christ do not enter with a resurrection body but with the same natural body that we all possess now. Hence they still have the sin nature and the children born to them will have a sin nature. Some of those children will not believe even though Christ is visibly reigning from His throne in Jerusalem, even though the environment in which they live is perfect, even though all that comes to them is good and life on this earth is lived in abundance.

The KJV I think explains the end of that verse better:

There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.

So in answer to your question Everready .... yes there will be sinners in the Millenium. The difference is that judgement will be made swiftly by the Lord upon all who sin whether they are individuals or nations. (cmp. Zech.14:17)

Compare also Psalm 2:

You will rule them with an iron scepter; you will dash them to pieces like pottery." (v.9)

The Psalm is in reference to the future rule of Christ from His throne in Jerusalem. It speaks of the necessity of ruling with a very tight grip because the sin nature in people will still exist at this time.

peace
When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty. Jer.15:16

Newnes

Post by Newnes » Fri May 22, 2009 5:11 am

My reply was also there, so here it is again...

Jesus will indeed reign on Earth, the New Earth, and we will reign with Him for 1000 years. The nations will live in peace while He rules with a rod of iron.

Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. For them the second death holds no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him a thousand years.

Revelation 19:15
From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress.

everready

Post by everready » Fri May 22, 2009 6:39 pm

My question is the same as well, are the day of the Lord and his second
coming two different events?

everready
Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

sawdust

Post by sawdust » Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 pm

everready wrote:Image

My question is the same as well, are the day of the Lord and his second
coming two different events?

everready

I did give a response to this question in the other thread. I will repeat it here.

You quoted this verse:

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 2Pet.3:10

That verse speaks of the destruction of the universe as we know it today. Compare Rev.21:1

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

If that destruction occurs at the same time as the Second Coming, Christ will not be able to rule on this earth (the one we have today). We would bypass a Millenium rule on this earth and go directly to the eternal rule of God which is to be found in the new creation.

This is why I asked if you believe in a literal Millenium because if you do then you will be hard pressed to explain that verse as referring to the Second Coming of Christ.

FYI: I have been taught, in passing as it relates to other doctines, that the "Day of the Lord" is an extended period beginning with the mid-trib point (when the wrath of the Lord is poured out) to the end of the Millenium. The "Day of Christ" (Phil.1:6&10; 2:16) is the moment of the resurrection of the Church. "The day of salvation" (2Cor.6:2) is the moment one has personal faith in Christ the Lord. "The day of God" (2Pet.3:12; Rev.16:14) is the eternal state.

The Second Coming is a significant event within the Day of the Lord.

peace

everready

Post by everready » Sat May 23, 2009 3:25 am

That's a new one I'm not familiar with,

everready
Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

sawdust

Post by sawdust » Sat May 23, 2009 4:06 am

everready wrote:Image

That's a new one I'm not familiar with,

everready

Ok, it's new to you. So, that means, what exactly?

The question you asked that gave rise to this thread was:

Before I reply I'd like to hear from anyone that believes Jesus will rule & reign 1000 years on a world that's been stained > tarnished by sin

I gave you my response. I would like to hear what you think and, based on the word, why you think it.

peace

James4_14

Post by James4_14 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 am

The Hebrew "day" begins in the evening and into the day:

Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

The "evening" is darkness and I believe that includes the whole seven years' trib. The daylight hour starts at Jesus second coming:

Mal 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
Acts 28 Believer

everready

Post by everready » Sat May 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Revelation 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

I'll admit SD I don't have all of the answers, to give my opinion along side of scripture can be dangerous, not wanting to add or take away from what's written. I still believe that the day of the lord and his second coming are the same event.

everready

sawdust

Post by sawdust » Sun May 24, 2009 9:20 am

everready wrote: I'll admit SD I don't have all of the answers, to give my opinion along side of scripture can be dangerous, not wanting to add or take away from what's written. I still believe that the day of the lord and his second coming are the same event.
everready

None of us do have all the answers ER. Ignorance, in and of itself is not a problem. The Lord has mercy on ignorance.

Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 1Tim.1:13

Being ignorant isn't a problem but staying ignorant is because .....

My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Col.2:2&3

I understand your nervousness. There are many times when I have typed up a post and I am about to hit the "submit" button and I think to myself ... "what if all I have said here is wrong Lord? what if I am found to be misrepresenting your word?" .... I become so afraid to hit that button and I begin to tremble all over. But then I remember the word of the Lord. "Perfect love casts out all fear" (1Jn.4:18) and I hit it anyway because I am confident the Lord will correct my ignorance in mercy.

I come to the forum so that I might hone my ability to fulfill the following command:

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 1Pet.3:15

I don't come here because I think I am right and others are wrong. I come here to better prepare myself to explain the hope I have in Christ. By listening to others explain what they believe and why they believe it and by putting my own understanding "out there", helps me and hopefully helps others.

I understand if you do not want to explain further than what you have already said.

peace :BHG

Return to “End Times & Prophecy”