Confident Trust part 7 Hand in Hand

shalom-dodi
CR Coach SP
CR Coach SP

Confident Trust part 7 Hand in Hand

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:23 am

We are going to continue in Psalm 37. Las week we looked at verses 1-11 in depth. Remember this Psalm is from a list someone compiled on building confident trust in God. When we have confident trust (or steadfast trust), then we are able to walk through life in a different way, from a different perspective or mind set. Remember that verse that says…set your mind on things above?
Not to mention Philippians 4:8 lifestyle. Colossians 3:2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

In a way this psalm is depressing. But on the other hand it does accomplish two things at least. We are reminded that the LORD does indeed deal with those who do evil. It may be that for a time “they get away with what they are doing. But their time will come. So will ours if we choose to turn our back on God, but in a different way. We will simply not have life go well for us until we turn and return to God.

Then we remember we are “them” too. In a way. Remember, Jesus said, in Matthew 5 23 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. You can read more later for yourself. The point is, “we” are “them” too in our own way.
Once I went to a conference at a camp called Dunklin which is a place for rehab. It is a great place. They have a hotel on the grounds. It was there, being with some of the addicts and healed addicts that I heart realized “we” or “I” am “them”.
But when we remember that we also feel our hearts swell with gratitude for the gift of salvation we received from Jesus by his death on the cross. John 1:12 but as many as received him, to them gave he the right to be children of God, to those that believe on his name;
What we are going to do tonight is read a portion of Psalm. We studies verses 1-11 last week. Then we are going to go back and ponder those portions that have application for our lives today. And tomorrow and forever.
First we will read it then go back and ponder various parts.
12 The wicked plots against the righteous
    and gnashes his teeth at him,
13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
    for he sees that his day is coming.

14 The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows
    to bring down the poor and needy,
    to slay those whose way is upright;
15 their sword shall enter their own heart,
    and their bows shall be broken.

16 Better is the little that the righteous has
    than the abundance of many wicked.
17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken,
    but the Lord upholds the righteous.

18 The Lord knows the days of the blameless,
    and their heritage will remain forever;
19 they are not put to shame in evil times;
    in the days of famine they have abundance.

20 But the wicked will perish;
    the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures;
    they vanish—like smoke they vanish away.

21 The wicked borrows but does not pay back,
    but the righteous is generous and gives;
22 for those blessed by the Lord shall inherit the land,
    but those cursed by him shall be cut off.

23 The steps of a man are established by the Lord,
    when he delights in his way;
24 though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong,
    for the Lord upholds his hand.

25 I have been young, and now am old,
    yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken
    or his children begging for bread.

26 He is ever lending generously,
    and his children become a blessing.

12 The wicked plots against the righteous
    and gnashes his teeth at him,
13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
    for he sees that his day is coming.
Dodi Note: There will be people plotting against us all our lives. Against our countries. Our homes. Our health. Our finances. The devil hates us simply because we love and seek to follow Jesus. We are told to be alert, 1 Peter 5:8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. But the final outcome is our Salvation finalized (on our last day or at His return) and they will reap what they sowed.
Of course remembering we are “them” sometimes. We can’t to be swift to invite God to do as it says in Psalm 139:24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

14 The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows
    to bring down the poor and needy,
    to slay those whose way is upright;
15 their sword shall enter their own heart,
    and their bows shall be broken.
Dodi Note: Personally I don’t want this for anyone. Do you? In the moment we may, for a moment, but looking back after receiving God’s comfort do we?

16 Better is the little that the righteous has
    than the abundance of many wicked.
17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken,
    but the Lord upholds the righteous.
Dodi Note: Our “little” is so much compared to so many around the world. Can we choose to focus on what we do have instead of what we don’t?
Don’t you love the image of the LORD’s arms upholding us?
INSERT PHOTOS of Jesus comforting

18 The Lord knows the days of the blameless,
    and their heritage will remain forever;
19 they are not put to shame in evil times;
    in the days of famine they have abundance.
Dodi Note: We are the blameless…. or we are decidedly NOT blameless but we are seen by God through the filter of Jesus’ blood shed for us and have his imputed (given to us) righteousness.
This does NOT give us freedom to sin, but sets us free from compunction to sin. We don’t want to sin and when we do we are repentant (sorry).
Our heritage will remain forever… what does that mean? I knew my thinking but needed to visit the Commentaries.
Matthew Henry says (speaking of verses 1-20 on this concept) Let us be satisfied that God will make all to work for good to us. Let us not discompose ourselves at what we see in this world. A fretful, discontented spirit is open to many temptations. For, in all respects, the little which is allotted to the righteous, is more comfortable and more profitable than the ill-gotten and abused riches of ungodly men. It comes from a hand of special love. God provides plentifully and well, not only for his working servants, but for his waiting servants. They have that which is better than wealth, peace of mind, peace with God, and then peace in God; that peace which the world cannot give, and which the world cannot have. God knows the believer's days. Not one day's work shall go unrewarded. Their time on earth is reckoned by days, which will soon be numbered; but heavenly happiness shall be for ever. This will be a real support to believers in evil times. Those that rest on the Rock of ages, have no reason to envy the wicked the support of their broken reeds.
Barnes says: yet the "language" suggests a higher idea, and is applicable to the righteous in respect to the promise that they will be put in "everlasting" possession of that which they "inherit" from God; that is, that they will be literally blessed forever. They will have a sure inheritance on earth, and it will endure to all eternity in another world.
I know Hebrew culture was all about descendants so it could allude to that as well. But I believe in modern language. Every good deed, every person who we pointed to God, every time we worship or trusted when it was so hard… all of those things have eternal value. Now and forever. You don’t know how far reaching a simple kind word spoken to another will go. And so on.

20 But the wicked will perish;
    the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures;
    they vanish—like smoke they vanish away.
21 The wicked borrows but does not pay back,
    but the righteous is generous and gives;
22 for those blessed by the Lord shall inherit the land,
    but those cursed by him shall be cut off.
Dodi Note: Focusing on our promises or instructions.
We are generous. We give. Not just money, time, talents and money. And you all do. We each have our sphere of influence. Those we meet in real life as well as online life. Think of all those you have touched personally with/for the love of God. Then imagine each one touching one who touches many. What an inheritance we have!!!!
Sometimes when I read the word “land” I change it to “heart”. We were reached when in our heart we discover/felt the LOVE of God. In our heart we live out and pass on what we have received. So in a sense “the land” is the literal land, but also the land meaning heart of ourselves and others.

23 The steps of a man are established by the Lord,
    when he delights in his way;
24 though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong,
    for the Lord upholds his hand.
Dodi Note: LOVe this. Don’t you? Our steps are established by the LORD as we DELIGHT ourselves in the Way of God. We will fall, we will trip and stumble, bad things will happen in our lives but we will NOT be cast away indeed.instead the LORD will hold us, uphold us.
Remember the pictures I showed you?
Here is one more. His hand is outstretched to you, will you take it?
Let’s do that together.
Lord God, our Abba Father and Jesus our friend who is closer than a brother. We need you. All of us have “stuff” and we thank you that you are always with us. Always reaching out to us. Help us to be swift to turn to you. Help us reach out and take your hand and invite you to walk with us everywhere we go, in every moment of our lives. We invite you afresh to have your way and we will hold as tight as we can to you. In Jesus name amen

A final promise from Psalm 37
25 I have been young, and now am old,
    yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken
    or his children begging for bread.
26 He is ever lending generously,
    and his children become a blessing.

Closing Song. Put your hand in the hand of the man from calvary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFNGB_M2USM
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. John 6:35

Return to “Monday Night Bible Study”