Abortion

A place to discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

Moderator: Joyful

XpensivelyBot

Abortion

Post by XpensivelyBot » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:51 am

WORLDWIDE

Number of abortions per year: Approximately 42 Million
Number of abortions per day: Approximately 115,000

[The Alan Guttmacher Institute. (http://www.agi-usa.org)]

UNITED STATES

Number of abortions per year: 1.37 Million (1996)
Number of abortions per day: Approximately 3,700

1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).

Study: Abortion increases suicide risk
13-year examination also finds higher rate of accidents, homicide

Women who have an abortion face a 248 percent greater risk of suicide, accidental death or homicide in the following year, according to a newly released 13-year Finnish study.

The survey also found the suicide rate among women who had an abortion was six times higher than for women who had given birth in the prior year and double that of women who had miscarriages.

The study was conducted by Finland’s National Research and Development Center for Welfare and Health and published in the European Journal of Public Health. The researchers studied data from the years 1987 to 2000 on all deaths among women of reproductive age, 15 to 49.

While the risk of death among women who had given birth in the prior year was lowest, death from suicide, accidents and homicide was highest among women who had an abortion in the previous year.

Women who had been pregnant had less than half the death rate of women who had not been pregnant. The risk of death for women who had suffered a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy did not noticeably differ from women who had not been pregnant.

The findings confirm other studies carried out in the United States, as well as Finland, that showed an increase in the death risk of women who have abortions.

In 1997, a government-funded study in Finland found that women who had abortions were 3.5 times more likely to die the following year than women who had given birth.

Furthermore, researchers looking at death records linked to medical payments for birth and abortion for 173,000 California women discovered there was a 62 percent higher chance of death for aborting women than delivering women over the eight-year period that was examined.

The study also found that the increase in the risk of death was from suicides and accidents. It showed a 154 percent higher risk of death from suicide and 82 percent higher risk of death from accidental injuries.

The main author of the California study, David Reardon, said record-linkage studies like this one are key to getting an accurate picture of pregnancy associated mortality rates.

"In most cases, coroners simply have no way of knowing that the deceased recently had an abortion, which is why these new record-linkage studies are so important," Reardon said.

Government health officials in Finland found in a recent study that 94 percent of maternal deaths involving abortion could not be identified by merely looking at a death certificate. This discovery applies to the data published by the Centers for Disease Control in the U.S.

Also, previous studies draw links between women who get abortions and an increase in substance abuse, anxiety, sleep disorders, suicidal thoughts, psychiatric illness, relationship problems and risk-taking behavior, which could easily lead to death by suicide or accident.

Beyond that, authors of the new Finland study suggested there might be common risk factors between having induced abortion and dying from accidental injury. They called on medical professionals to be aware of these risks.

"Women seeking abortions should be informed that abortion is associated with significant physical and mental health risks, and it also deprives them of numerous physical and mental health benefits associated with childbirth." Reardon said.

He added, it's "especially important for health care providers to be aware of these risks and the risk factors which identify those women who are at highest risk."

"Providing women with the resources to help them resolve emotional issues relating to past abortions will not only increase their well-being but may possibly save their lives," he said..

(the above is from: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/print ... E_ID=47705 )

Charliesangel

Re: Abortion

Post by Charliesangel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:51 pm

I am glad you posted this, its obviously an area that I am interested in. Though statistics these days rarely tell the truth or add up, the information is a strong tool.

The main problem is women became " empowered" in the 70's and were TOLD how they were going to be as the " New " Hear me roar group.
Along with that new found strength came the ability to kill your child at will with no remorse, guilt of shame...right??

WRONG!

Just like many issues , this one caused women to take huge steps BACK instead of forward. What they thought they were doing was liberating a woman so she wouldn't be tied down to a man, to a family, be a career girl just like her male counterparts!

What they DID"T take into consideration is that women are different then men, yeah I said it!

We are naturally born to be nurturing .. some not so much I understand the generalization of the statement.
They didn't realize that after that empowerment faded women had consciences, that women hang around other women who DO have families, that women do work with others who have kids and then they realize the damage and horrendous thing they have done. These groups didn't think about the aftermath of this, and until recently there were NO places a woman who was guilt ridden by her " decision" could go.

I mean it became part of our society, pregnant, not ready, kill it.. its not a child yet anyhow.........right??

Wrong.

Now that many women of that generation have realized the BIG LIE told to them they are angry. Rightfully so. We are still being told its OK, its YOUR CHOICE.

I absolutely agree. God gives us choices after all , doesn't FORCE us to obey anything BUT.... go against what is right and you will suffer the consequences of your actions.

I am not sure how any person ever thought women could handle killing their children.?
The biggest shock now is the men who are standing up saying " that was wrong" I should have NEVER......

Its natural to procreate it is not natural to kill your child ready or not......My biggest hope is that if your not ready for a child you won't be sexually active or at the very least take every precaution not to procreate when not ready. Either way, your life will never be the same.

I shall step down now :soapbox:

BeartheCross

Post by BeartheCross » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks for posting This Mama Cass. Abortion is a very serious issue that in the eyes of God would be considered murder..

Let us say for example that when Mary was with the Child in her stomach. If anyone would have tried to harm here stomach. . God would call this a murder attempt on this Child.

It is necessary that a Child needs to go through the first 9 months of stage developments. . It was not intended by GOD that man or woman should get rid of the pregnancy of The Child..

Much of the reason today is because of people not being married. Partners split up or one night stands.

One sin led to a greater sin to abort The Child who has no say so. For the newborn baby is powerless to do anything. ..

There are plenty of parents that would like to adopt a Child rather than having their own. It is best then to give up the child to put into adoption.

Give the Child a chance at life. .

When a doctor takes the life of an unborn child he then is playing GOD. . In the 10 commandments we are told to not kill. This includes pregnant women as well with The Child. .

Pregnancy is not a mistake. It was your Choice to sleep with a man and do this act. Take out the responsibility at least to give birth to the Child. .

In Cases of Rape a women should immediately check for pregnancy. If anything develops in the first stages I believe God would understand you to remove before it develops but not to wait months later and then decide to abort. The child has already been well developed.

If this causes death to the mother then abortion may be necessary to keep mother alive..

These are rare cases and in all most cases Abortion should never be considered even with just a one night stand.

Rape was a forced pregnancy that you did not want. . Get immediate treatment.

GOD would not want you to die during Birth. But I think it has happened on some occasions. .

everready

Post by everready » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:34 am

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

larry

Post by larry » Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 pm

XpensivelyBot - The survey also found the suicide rate among women who had an abortion was six times higher than for women who had given birth in the prior year and double that of women who had miscarriages.

larry - Dear XpensivelyBot, I have reservations concerning studies as this. First I would like to know if those having abortions were non-Christian and continuing a lifestyle conducive to self destruction; abortion just being the result of a life lived in sin, and the catalyst to throw them over the edge. A Christian having a miscarriage is fighting an altogether different battle than one suffering pressure to unwillingly give up their unborn child to abortion.

Given an equal playing field, the Christian might actually suffer more internal conflict over an abortion than one of the world purely for conscience sake.

In this country many have attempted to change the world into righteousness concerning abortion through legislation, and it never works. Next they attempt to convince those in Adam to not sin, and that is impossible. Only God can change lives, and sin does not leave a life until Christ enters.

In Jesus' name - larry
All here stated in the name of the Lord Jesus hopefully to God's glory - larry

Charliesangel

Post by Charliesangel » Sun May 03, 2009 3:20 am

larry - Dear XpensivelyBot, I have reservations concerning studies as this. First I would like to know if those having abortions were non-Christian and continuing a lifestyle conducive to self destruction; abortion just being the result of a life lived in sin, and the catalyst to throw them over the edge. A Christian having a miscarriage is fighting an altogether different battle than one suffering pressure to unwillingly give up their unborn child to abortion.

Given an equal playing field, the Christian might actually suffer more internal conflict over an abortion than one of the world purely for conscience sake.

I wanted to address this from the women's view. I have been involved almost a year now with Post Abortion counseling , and by no means am I an expert.
But, I have found that there are MANY women who are Christians, raised in the church, that have had abortions. Sadly they know that the expectations for them to behave more morally makes them feel even more guilt then the woman who isn't saved. The woman who isn't saved at the time of her abortion ( Like I was) can have that loophole in a sense out... Others will even say to me " well you werent saved you didn't know".

Where that sounds nice and cozy, I still have a moral compass and knew it was wrong. We really have to keep the playing field level in a sense because the grief and sorry, guilt and shame in all women who have come to realize what they have done is terrible, let alone having the feeling " But I am A Christian that makes me even worse".

I listened to one Lady tell her story. She went to a Christian school,active in sports good student. She helped with Sunday school and at age 18 her and her saved boyfriend gave into to temptation and she got pregnant. Because of her heart for Christ , she never told anybody and felt that she had to hide the pregnancy via abortion even more so because of the shame of a good Christian girl getting pregnant. The sad thing was , the good Christian boy dumped her when he found out she was pregnant.

So Just another side to think about, you know me thats my style :)

Hugs and prayers
:bls

larry

Post by larry » Mon May 04, 2009 1:29 am

Charliesangel - I have found that there are MANY women who are Christians, raised in the church, that have had abortions. Sadly they know that the expectations for them to behave more morally makes them feel even more guilt then the woman who isn't saved.

larry - Maybe we are on different wavelengths, but I thought that is exactly what I attempted to say. You did explain that you are a woman, and I reckon as a result of that your wording was a bit different. My wife, because she is a woman also operates at a different hearing level than me at times; I just seem to be misunderstood.

Repeating what I said: "The Christian might actually suffer more internal conflict over an abortion than one of the world purely for conscience sake."

In Jesus' name - larry

Charliesangel

Post by Charliesangel » Mon May 04, 2009 1:52 am

Yeah you know I was really really tired last night... sorry didn't catch that but yeah I added a few extra stories then ;)

:bls

larry

Post by larry » Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 am

Charliesangel - Yeah you know I was really really tired last night... sorry didn't catch that but yeah I added a few extra stories then ;)

larry - That's alright, my wife always has a good excuse too, but I've now put up with her for 52 years. I reckon that's what comes from being a man attempting to survive in a woman's world; understanding misunderstanding women and loving them anyways.

:ugog

In Jesus' name - larry

Igotsunshine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Igotsunshine » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:52 pm

transitrider you have great insight. I just want to say to anyone here commenting on this that for one they know absolutely nothing about abortion if they did not have one. They don't know the feelings of a women as a believer or unbeliever. No one can say the pain experienced, the regret or any of it. Planned Parenthood is a corporation. Their job is to make money. That is all they care about. I have first hand knowledge. I know, I been there. One thing one has to remember is they are in the world. Their acts of so called mercy are born of the lies of satan. We must pray they see the light. Also know that NO ONE can take a life, the soul, in reality because God has the last say on everything or anything we do as a people. God has all life in the palms of His hands.
Isaiah 12:2 “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”

Return to “Christianity & Science”