David"A Man after God's own Heart Part 4

truth
Bible Leader SP
Bible Leader SP

David"A Man after God's own Heart Part 4

Post by truth » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:00 pm

David "A man after God's own Heart" Part 4

1Sam 24:6-6 And he said to his men, “The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my Master, the Lord’s anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord.”
Honor is very important for a King or Leader. Very Sad for those who have committed adultery; they have no character. When given great authority, along with it should come the highest honor. Luke 12:48 [
But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.
Let's define "honor." To be honorable is to be worthy of "high respect and esteem." A person is not honorable just because of the position, but because of the choices he or she makes. David was hunted by Saul. Saul was in a position of honor but he was not worthy of honor. He was consumed with killing David, whom God had anointed to become the next King . It was then that Saul lost his own honor by the bad choices he made.
Even so, David honored Saul! He did not honor him as a person, but he honored his position as King. 1Sam 26:11- 11 The Lord forbid that I should stretch out my hand against the Lord’s anointed. But please, take now the spear and the jug of water that are by his head, and let us go.”
Saul did not deserve honor, David honored him because David was an honorable ,man. Saul was wicked and did not deserve honor.
Let's look at what made Saul so dishonorable and David so honorable. The Word of God shows us their motives and feelings This we can apply to our walk as believers today!
Saul's Dishonor:
When Saul just became King, he was a man of honor. He quickly changed all that when he disobeyed God. there were three sins that robbed Saul of the honor God bestowed on him, and can rob you as well.
1) Jealousy- towards David 1Sam 18:8-
8 Then Saul was very angry, and the saying displeased him; and he said, “They have ascribed to David ten thousands, and to me they have ascribed only thousands. Now what more can he have but the kingdom?”
1 Sam 18 28,29-28 Thus Saul saw and knew that the Lord was with David, and that Michal, Saul’s daughter, loved him; 29 and Saul was still more afraid of David. So Saul became David’s enemy continually.
He recognized that God's hand was lifted from him and was now on David, and that was a fearful thing.
David did not steal Saul's honor, Saul lost it himself by his bad choices! Jealousy is a very dangerous sin. Proverbs 6: 34-35- For jealousy is a husband’s fury;
Therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance.
He will accept no recompense,
Nor will he be appeased though you give many gifts.
It will consume you like a cancer. It will turn to rage. This is what happened to Saul It can happen to any of us , Christian or not.
@) Anger: 1Sam 18:11 Saul's jealousy turned to anger, he could not hold it in. He became a man of dishonor. Pro14:29-He who is slow to wrath has great understanding,
But he who is impulsive exalts folly.
Loosing tempers can also result in loosing honor with God. Pro 22: 24-25-Make no friendship with an angry man,
And with a furious man do not go,
Lest you learn his ways
And set a snare for your soul.
This a warning against making friends with an angry man, the same as walking with continuously with someone who is walking in darkness and does not want to change, you can fall into the snare yourself!
Anger spreads. Stay away from angry critical people. It us best to pray for them. It is a snare of sin. It is dishonorable and shows lack of control on their part. you can try to help them ,but they gave to want to . You cannot do it for them.
Saul was consumed with jealousy controlled by his anger. Saul also stepped into another level of sin along with these two.
3) Hatred-
1Sam 20:31-
Saul hated David. It showed buy his actions. He was trying to kill God's anointed. Totally dishonorable.
We must be very careful, kill your jealousy and anger before it kills you. These are not little sins folks. They start out small and grow and spread like weeds and choke the life out of you and manifest into hatred leading into many other sins. This is considered a very dishonorable Christian life. 11Tim2:21-21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.
Now lets take a look at David's honor!
He was a man of high morals and integrity and a godly spirit. David was a man of his word. He was a man of Honor.
We are going to look at some of the ways David displayed his honor.
David honored Jonathon's Covenant of Friendship.
1Sam 18:1-3 Now when he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. 2 Saul took him that day, and would not let him go home to his father’s house anymore. 3 Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.
Notice in the last verse , Jonathan loved David "as his own soul." He vowed to always be his friend no matter what, to protect , help, a very intimate covenant. This covenant was kept with honor. Jonathan loved David and wanted to encourage him. They did everything out of honor. (Read 1Sam23 when David was in hiding)
Romans 13:7-Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.
Proverbs 26:8-Like one who binds a stone in a sling
Is he who gives honor to a fool.
When you give honor to those who deserve it you are honoring the Lord. Be careful not to give honor to the wrong person.
David honored Saul as King. 1Sam 24:6- And he said to his men, “The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my master, the Lord’s anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord.”
David not kill Saul when he had the chance because he honored Saul's position as king, he almost performed an act of dishonor(murder). Instead he just cut off a piece of his skirt to prove that he could have killed but didn't. 1Sam24:9-15-
And David said to Saul: “Why do you listen to the words of men who say, ‘Indeed David seeks your harm’? 10 Look, this day your eyes have seen that the Lord delivered you today into my hand in the cave, and someone urged me to kill you. But my eye spared you, and I said, ‘I will not stretch out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord’s anointed.’ 11 Moreover, my father, see! Yes, see the corner of your robe in my hand! For in that I cut off the corner of your robe, and did not kill you, know and see that there is neither evil nor rebellion in my hand, and I have not sinned against you. Yet you hunt my life to take it. 12 Let the Lord judge between you and me, and let the Lord avenge me on you. But my hand shall not be against you. 13 As the proverb of the ancients says, ‘Wickedness proceeds from the wicked.’ But my hand shall not be against you. 14 After whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom do you pursue? A dead dog? A flea? 15 Therefore let the Lord be judge, and judge between you and me, and see and plead my case, and deliver me out of your hand.”
If you are a person of honor then honesty and humility will flow from your honorable heart. Ask God to help you to be like David or better yet in today's walk, to be more like Christ!
David honored Saul at his death.
1Sam ends with Saul's death. David mourned a king who sought to kill him, because David was a man of honor in his heart. He avenged the death of Saul by having the Amalekites killed. He became Israel's greatest monarch, because he was a man of honor.
If David had been full of hate for Saul he would never have had a heart for God. He was so blessed by God that he was a man of honor who honored not just his king but his enemy!
Here are some characteristics that bring honor into one's life:
1) Wisdom- Pro. 4:8
2) Humility-Pro-15-33 18-12 29-23
3) Righteousness Pro 21:21

4)Self-Control- Pro-20:3
and many many more of Christ attributes. To name a few. Loving, gentle, merciful, forgiving, wise, self-sacrificing, meek. humble, kind, encouraging, I ask you are you truly seeing Christ in this lesson on David so far???
2Tim 2:20-2120 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.
Are you a vessel of honor or dishonor? Can God pick you and use you or are you worthless to Him? Wish areas do you need to work on? These are questions you need to ask yourself and discuss with your Master and ask for His help and guidance.
Psalm 139:23-24-Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.
The King of Kings is looking for an honorable vessel to be used for HIS GLORY.
If you want to be an honorable person then honor others in your life.
James 4:10-10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.
This concludes our study on David for this week. Thank you all for coming to Glorify our Heavenly Father! See you all next week if He does not show up first! To God Be All the Glory! Amen Love You all In Christ!
So far we have studied many aspects of Davids life, but the most important one of all will be the study of his Faith. That will be the next one we cover. I know this is a long study but I pray it will help all of us to develop stronger faith and Christlike attributes that will shine and lead others to Christ in these difficult days in a world that is crumbling fast!
Read Hebrews 11 this week and you will see just how important Faith really is as we continue on our Journey with the Living God in Christ!
One last scripture then I would like to end in prayer and turn the praise music over to Snowbunny who is so gracious to share it with us each study! I would like to thank all of you for your participation and diligence as we continue to Glorify God as He sends us a new and fresh message through every bible study offered on this site. Thanks to all who prepare them and thanks to all who attend! Thanks to eye for providing a wonderful place of fellowship! Most all Thanks to all for your Prayers! Love in Christ! Here is the scripture:
1 Samuel 30:6New King James Version

6 Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.

Return to “Sunday Night Bible Study”