Flirting

A place for Christian singles to discuss relevant issues in their lives.

Moderator: Snowbunny

Igotsunshine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flirting

Post by Igotsunshine » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:53 pm

I have done my share of flirting over time. Which seemed ok at the time. So, I looked up the definition in Wikipedia.

Flirting (or coquetry) is a playful romantic or sexual overture by one person to another subtly indicating an interest in a deeper relationship with the other person, and can involve verbal communication as well as body language. A female flirt, especially a young one, is sometimes called a coquette; and a male one a womanizer or 'player'.

I have not considered this definition of flirting. In fact, I thought it was much less severe. Innocent.

I find I am slightly offended by this kind of flirting as a Christian woman. I feel complete respect from a man gives me more respect towards them. I try to see both sides of this. I avoid flirting. And to me words on a screen do not always show the intent behind it. When someone asks me in public face to face or in a chat room if I am married, I feel like, does that make a difference. I am not here to find a partner. I feel God is taking care of all that for me.

What are your thoughts?
Isaiah 12:2 “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”

Sharon1963

Re: Flirting

Post by Sharon1963 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:02 am

I think flirting as a Christian is dangerous. We can end up in a compromised position and then what?
Anyway... Having my own struggle with attention from an unsaved man... I am attracted and don't want to fall again. It was so painful before - 8or 9 years ago. Any suggestions?

ray
CR member
CR member

Re: Flirting

Post by ray » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:56 pm

If I ask someone in a chat if they are married, have kids, age or some similar things, it is not a matter of flirting.
For me it is a simple matter of getting an idea of where they are in life. When we meet people in real life, we know the age, we can spot if they carry a wedding ring.
When I would share something about my kids or grand-kids, it is good to know if the one listening has a chance to relate.
Likewise it is good for me to know if people are married, if I should get the idea of sharing some tools that have worked in my marriage.
Maybe it would be good with some kind of etiquette, for not to mix such neutral interest with flirting.

Return to “Christian Singles”