5 Verses That Prove The Bible Supports Abortion Rights

The topics in this area are very sensitive to some and sometimes create strong disagreements. These topics are open to the public but are subject to closer moderation. This does not mean that it is a war zone. It means that it will not be allowed to become one.

Moderator: Joyful

Igotsunshine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Igotsunshine » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:41 pm

THIS IS VERY DISTURBING TO ME...WHAT DO YOU THINK?

July 9, 2015

Unfortunately for anti-choice advocates, ‘the Bible supports abortion’ isn’t just a clickbait title. A literal interpretation of the Good Book really does support the idea that abortion isn’t murder. Even worse, it’s not just in one verse.

Before we get to the verses that show abortion isn’t murder, though, let us first look at why modern anti-choice arguments make no sense.

Bible Never Outlaws Abortion

When speaking with an anti-choice advocate, they will bring up various Biblical verses and claim that they’re proof that abortion is murder. Unfortunately for these individuals, the Bible never actually says this. They’re simply taking verses and twisting them to imply that abortion equals killing a human.

It’s strange, though, that the Bible wouldn’t directly outlaw abortion if it was wrong. After all, each of the books of the New Testament were written in the Common Era (CE) — often referred to as A.D. Yet the earliest evidence of an induced abortion dates to 1550 BCE. This, of course, is around 1,545 years before Christ was even born.

Additionally, the Code of Assura provided for the death penalty if a woman got an abortion without her husband’s blessing. This was in 1075 BCE. It just seems weird, even with historical evidence that abortion was occurring over 1,500 years before Christ, that the Bible never specifically outlaws it.

Bible Supports Abortion

It seems like God would have directly outlawed abortion if it was so important. Alas, that’s neither here nor there. Let’s get to the verses of the Bible supporting abortion advocates.

Exodus 21:22-25 – Not Valued As Human Life

“When men have a fight and hurt a pregnant woman, so that she suffers a miscarriage, but no further injury, the guilty one shall be fined as much as the woman’s husband demands of him, and he shall pay in the presence of the judges. But if injury ensues, you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”
This Biblical verse lays out the penalty for accidentally causing a woman to miscarry, and it’s just a fine. If the woman herself is injured during the incident, however, the good old “eye for an eye” rule comes into play.

So if the mother dies, the person who caused the death dies. If only the unborn child dies, however, the at-fault party has to fork over a few shekels. If an unborn fetus is a human life, why is it not treated as such in this verse?

Ecclesiastes 6:3-5 – Unfulfilled Life Not Worth Living

“If a man beget a hundred children, and live many years, so that the days of his years be many, and his soul be not filled with good, and also that he have no burial; I say, that an untimely birth is better than he. For he cometh in with vanity, and departeth in darkness, and his name shall be covered with darkness. Moreover he hath not seen the sun, nor known any thing: this hath more rest than the other.”
This text says that it is better for a person to suffer an “untimely birth,” meaning to die from miscarriage, than to live an unhappy life. That’s right: the Bible literally says it’s better to die in the womb than live an unhappy life. This flies directly into the face of all anti-choice believers.

Numbers 3:39-40 – Life Begins At… One Month

“The total number of Levites counted at the Lord’s command by Moses and Aaron according to their clans, including every male a month old or more, was 22,000. The Lord said to Moses, ‘Count all the firstborn Israelite males who are a month old or more and make a list of their names.'”
In these verses, God tells Moses to conduct a census of all Levite males, but he only tells him to count those who are at least one month old. It’s almost as if those younger than a month don’t hold human value.

Is it possible that the Bible is implying that a soul doesn’t enter a child’s body until it’s one month old? The following verse seems to contradict this, but not in a way that benefits a “pro-life” advocate’s argument.

Genesis 2:7 – Breath Must Come First

“And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”
This verse talks about the creation of Adam. It specifically states that God formed Adam from dust, but he wasn’t yet a living soul. Not until God breathed life into this inhuman form did it become alive. If Adam, the first human to ever exist, had to take a breath before being considered a living soul, why is the same not true for unborn fetuses?

Numbers 5:27 – Abortion Is Okay, If The Mom Doesn’t Approve

“If she has made herself impure and been unfaithful to her husband, this will be the result: When she is made to drink the water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering, it will enter her, her abdomen will swell and her womb will miscarry, and she will become a curse.”
This is a fun one. Earlier in Numbers, it’s stated that, if a man suspects his wife of sleeping with another man, he may bring her to a priest who will create some sort of magic potion with water and dirt. The woman is then made to drink said magic potion. If she has not cheated on her husband, nothing will happen.

If the woman has cheated and is carrying another man’s child, though, the mystical dirt water — we can call it magic mud — will cause her to immediately miscarry. This is a directive coming straight from God himself to Moses. So even if pro-lifers can dodge all these other verses, they can’t deny that this one essentially says, “Abortion is okay as long as it’s forced upon a woman, against her will, for cheating on her husband.”

http://reverbpress.com/religion/bible-s ... -abortion/

Yeah… that’s way more acceptable than what pro-choice advocates are going for…
Isaiah 12:2 “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”

sunsets
CR Coach SP
CR Coach SP

Re: 5 Verses That Prove The Bible Supports Abortion Rights

Post by sunsets » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 pm

I totally disagree with this article! The Bible never specifically addresses the issue of abortion. However, there are numerous teachings in Scripture that make it abundantly clear what God’s view of abortion is. Jeremiah 1:5 tells us that God knows us before He forms us in the womb. Psalm 139:13-16 speaks of God’s active role in our creation and formation in the womb. Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same penalty—death—for someone who causes the death of a baby in the womb as for someone who commits murder. This clearly indicates that God considers a baby in the womb to be as human as a full-grown adult. For the Christian, abortion is not a matter of a woman’s right to choose. It is a matter of the life or death of a human being made in God’s image and whom God Himself loves before they are ever born!

The first argument that always arises against the Christian view on abortion is about cases of rape and/or incest. As horrible as it would be to become pregnant as a result of rape/incest, is the murder of a baby the answer? Two wrongs do not make a right. The child who is a result of rape/incest could be given in adoption to a loving family unable to have children on their own, or the child could be raised by its mother. The baby is completely innocent and should not be punished for the evil acts of its father. Think how tragic it would have been for James Robinson, the evangelist, who was conceived in rape, if his Mother had chosen abortion.

The second argument that usually arises against the Christian view on abortion is when the life of the mother is at risk. This is the most difficult question to answer. First, we have to recognize that this situation is the reason behind less than one-tenth of one percent of the abortions done in the world today. Far more women have an abortion for convenience than women who have an abortion to save their own lives. Second, let’s remember that God is a God of miracles. He can preserve the life of a mother and a child despite all the medical odds being against it. Ultimately, this question can only be decided between a husband, wife, and God. Any couple facing this extremely difficult situation should pray to the Lord for wisdom as to what He would have them to do.

Over 95 percent of the abortions performed today involve women who simply do not want to have a baby. Less than 5 percent of abortions are for the reasons of rape, incest, or the mother's health at risk. Even in the more difficult 5 percent of instances, abortion should never be the first option. The life of a human being in the womb is worth every effort to allow the child to be born. For those who have had an abortion, remember that the sin of abortion is no less forgivable than any other sin. Through faith in Christ, all sins can be forgiven. A woman who has had an abortion, a man who has encouraged an abortion, or even a doctor who has performed one can all be forgiven by faith in Jesus Christ.

"Keep yourself far from a false matter; do not kill the innocent and righteous. For I will not justify the wicked." Exodus 23:7
Last edited by sunsets on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Return to “Sensitive Discussions”